Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Unsupported Image Format

Using Aperture 3.4.5 , and editing in Photoshop CS4, when I save the file in Photoshop I now see the "Unsupported Image Format" for the PSD file in Aperture. If I change the name and/or format type, will it go back as a version in Apeture?

Brian

iPad 2, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.2)

Posted on Jul 21, 2013 1:48 PM

4 replies

Jul 23, 2013 11:55 PM in response to azartguy

It looks, like nobody here uses CS4, Brian.

My CS6 files are saved correctly. Are you exporting 16bit or 8bit PSD? Have you tried both versions?

If I change the name and/or format type, will it go back as a version in Apeture?

PhotoShop should save in exactly that format, that Aperture is sending, and for PSD files the filename extension should be ".psd" in lower case letters, for TIFF files ".tiff". If Photoshop should be changein the extensions when using "Save", try "Save as" and make sure the extension is correct.

Could you use "tiff" format, or do you need the layers?

Jul 24, 2013 1:02 PM in response to léonie

That's what I get for holding onto old software. In any case, I've tried everything I can think of: PSD 8 and 16-bit, TIFF 8 and 16-bit, JPEG.

The weird thing is sometimes everything works fine, than the next time Aperture gives the error message.

Instead of using the Photos > Edits with Photoshop CS4 ... I may just work around it with the RAW > Export (Version) As> PSD to the desktop, open in CS4 and then Save As back to the desktop, and then drag it back into the Aperture project. It's cumbersome but it works.

Thanks for responding,

Brian

Jul 24, 2013 1:19 PM in response to azartguy

Brian,

If the problem is erratic, try to ensure, that not your Aperture library is to blame.

If you can edit without problems from a new Aperture library, just created for testing, then I'd run the Aperture library first aid tools - repairing permissions, repairing the database.

Repairing and Rebuilding Your Aperture Library: Aperture 3 User Manual

Another test would be, if CS4 is working well as an external editor, if you are testing using a different user acoount - bare bones - with only the default settings.

One problem - according to Adobe's site, CS 4 is not supported for the recents MacOS X versions, so you may have a problem with the sandboxing in Mt. Lion. http://helpx.adobe.com/x-productkb/policy-pricing/system-requirements-photoshop. html

-- Léonie

Unsupported Image Format

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.