Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Corrupted Time Machine app on Mountain Lion 10.8.4

I seem to have a corrupted Time Machine app on my Macbook Pro, running 10.8.4

The problem first started when I used a guide to modify the backup intervals - editing a text file to change the amount of seconds in between the automatic backups (changing it to every 24 hours rather than one hour).

That worked fine for a couple months, but then I started getting an error saying that the backup was too large for the destionation disk. I spent ages trying to resolve this, formatted my external hard drive again, and tried to start a new backup. However I still kept getting the error that the Time Machine backup was too large. I double checked that I had excluded the right files, and that it was actually able to fit on the external HDD.

After giving up trying to fix the problem with TM, I deleted the app, and went into the system files and deleted all (I think) of the files relating to TM. I then opened the Mountain Lion installer package with Pacifist, and extracted all the TM files into their default location.

Now the problem is that TM (in the preferecnes pane) will freeze when I try to change the options, and it won't let me check "Show Time Machine in menu bar". It also still tells me that the backup is too large when it automatically tries to backup.

Is there any way to completely reinstall just TM without having to reinsall all the system files on the OS?

Any help would be appreciated!

MacBook Pro, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.4), 2.3 GHz Intel Core i7 16GB 1333 MHz

Posted on Jul 21, 2013 4:00 PM

3 replies

Corrupted Time Machine app on Mountain Lion 10.8.4

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.