Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Carbon Copy Cloner - Cloning an external drive to an external drive

Hello,

I am upgrading the hard drive in my 13" mid 2009 Macbook Pro. I need to make a bootable clone on an external drive that will not be installed/removed from the machine, which I have done, the external drive now contains additional data that my current internal drive does not have (which I believe are the "archived" files if I'm not mistaken?).

Before installing the new internal HD I have put it in an enclosure I have attempted to clone from the old external drive to my new internal drive (within the enclosure). I presumed cloning the external drive would make for a more complete backup of my data and when using CCC in future with my new internal drive I would not destroy any old files? I used the following setting when cloning…

Handling of data already on the destination: Temporarily archive modified and deleted items

Despite the destination being easily big enough, The problem with the clone is its only 232 GB and the source is 248 GB, why is this? I am open to suggestion for above issue(s).

Many thanks, all help appreciated. 🙂

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.7.3)

Posted on Jul 22, 2013 3:00 AM

18 replies

Jul 22, 2013 6:11 AM in response to darkhorse85

>>Handling of data already on the destination: Temporarily archive modified and deleted items

Any file that exists on the destination, which has been modified or deleted on the source, will be temporarily archived, taking up space that isn't used on the source. So the required destination space could easily be much larger than the source.

If I understand correctly what you've done so far - you'll either need to manually remove (some or all) the archived items, or clone again without the archive option.

Jul 22, 2013 10:23 AM in response to andyBall_uk

Thanks for the reply.

I wasn't quite sure why mentioned the following, I think we may have got our wires crossed?

andyBall_uk wrote:

"...you'll either need to manually remove (some or all) the archived items, or clone again without the archive option."

To clarify, the main issue is that the new clone I've made on the internal drive to be is significantly smaller than the Source and feel I am missing data?

The Destination drive however should easily be large enough at 300 GB when the Source is said to only just have under 250 GB of data on it.

I hope this helps clear things up?

Thanks Andy 🙂

Jul 22, 2013 3:42 PM in response to darkhorse85

Hi

sorry if I misunderstood.

Is it the case that the original internal drive used space smaller than the external clone (due to archived items) and that the intended new internal looks to require rather less space than the external clone ?.

If so, it seems that CCC ignores temporarily archived items, since they don't exist on the destination... and presumably it recognises them as CCC archived items & excludes them from the clone.

Asking at http://help.bombich.com/ or their discussions may get a more informed response... or just do the clone & check before physically installing it, to see if that's what happens.

Jul 22, 2013 3:48 PM in response to darkhorse85

Thats totally normal, Ive cloned many internal to external, there is often 50 to 80 gig LESS on the clone since it leaves out the unrequired garbage not needed on the clone. Just make sure you BOOT from the clone ONCE to check it before you go and throw it into your MAC 😉 Obviously a USB boot is rather slow, especially first time on a new clone.

Jul 23, 2013 6:55 AM in response to PlotinusVeritas

What I don't get is that I'm Cloning a Clone, so surely all the data that would have been filtered out, left behind, not copied etc. would have been avoided with when I made the first Clone?

Some extra info...

Here's My Drive's

Macintosh HD (current internal drive)

Seagate Pipline (permenant external drive)

Lion HD (internal drive to be, currently used within encloser)

Here's What I Did

Source: Destination:

Macintosh HD > Segate Pipline

Segate Pipline > Lion HD

Thanks

Jul 23, 2013 7:09 AM in response to andyBall_uk

Yes, it is the case that internal drive smaller than permenant external drive but still larger than the new internal drive, as can be viewed below.

Drive's Current Sizes (on 23/Jul/2013)

Used: Capactiy:

Macintosh HD (current internal drive) 237.75 GB 250 GB

Seagate Pipline (permenant external drive) 262.15 GB 500 GB

Lion HD (internal drive to be, currently used within encloser) 232.78 GB 300 GB

I wondering if I have gone something wrong when making the clone from Seagate Pipeline to Lion HD?Could have failed to encrpypt it, or make hidden recovery parition (properly)?

Jul 23, 2013 7:45 AM in response to darkhorse85

Depending on the size of the archive folder & chosen options - that may be expected

CCC's temporary archives folder ("_CCC Archives") is excluded from CCC's list of "Items to be copied" by default because it contains older versions of modified files, and files that were deleted from the source volume. Typically when you restore data from your backup volume, you will want to avoid restoring the items in this folder, choosing instead to restore the most recent backup of your files.

Look on the external & see how large the folder is.

Jul 23, 2013 1:20 PM in response to Csound1

The reason for not cloning directly from Macintosh HD > Lion HD is because the Seagate Pipeline external drive contains additional files that the current version of Macintosh HD does not have.

The Seagate Pipeline drive also functions as the external backup drive for my computer. If I backed up from Macintosh HD > Lion HD now, I would lose the additional data that the Seagate Pipeline drive contains when backing up my computer with newly installed Lion HD the hard drive.

Jul 23, 2013 2:00 PM in response to andyBall_uk

After contacting bomich.com (as suggested) I received the useful reply regarding this predictament...

Matt

July 23, 2013 @ 03:30 PM

I am wanting to upgrade my computers hard drive so I've made a bootable clone onto my external hard drive. I made a few fresh CCC backups on it on the external since. I want to copy EVERYTHING thats on the external drive to the NEW hard drive I have bought. One of the reasons I want to copy everything is because I don't want to lose anything on the external drive when I use it to make a clone of my new internal drive (once installed).

I would like to keep the old archived files and other similar data (I am new to CCC).

All help much appreciated. This will help me get my business up and running. Thank you.

SUPPORT STAFF2 Posted by Rob Compton on July 23, 2013 @ 06:49 PM

User uploaded file

Matt,

The only files that would not clone when following the standard procedure would be the '_CCC Archives" folder containing older versions of files and files that were removed from the source.

See this article on how to clone the CCC Archives folder:
http://help.bombich.com/kb/explore/managing-previous-versions-of-yo...
archives

This article covers the basics of restoring data:
http://help.bombich.com/kb/overview/restoring-data-from-your-backup
Best wishes,

RobRob Compton
Bombich Software, Inc.
http://www.bombich.com
For Carbon Copy Cloner support, please post questions to the Bombich Software Help Desk
http://help.bombich.com

Jul 23, 2013 2:57 PM in response to Csound1

Csound1, It seems I've mistread your pervious message .

In answer your last most recent question, I don't know what all the additional files are, so unfortunately I can't just search for them copy them over (if could idenify all of the files things may be different). It could also mean I a lot more work and messing around. I also don't want to negate expanding my knowledge of using Carbon Copy Cloner.

Carbon Copy Cloner - Cloning an external drive to an external drive

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.