Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Mac Mini (late-2012) runs HOT...

Hi, my Mac Mini with i7 Intel (late- 2012) runs very hot, the top of in is very hot just after about just an hour,( just on/on the web/ youtube, netflix) I do not like it. Does anyone have this same issue, I have a clear space around it and have it placed to the side because I thought that the wall was blocking the vent ports in the back.. No help, runs fine just very hot, strange. The fan is always slow and quiet and when HOT I cannot feel increased air flow coming out of it......

Anyway..... let me knows if yours is the same... Thanks so much!!! 🙂

PS: if you know a way to increase the fan speed in OSX that would make be feel better...

-Adam

Mac mini, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.4), 2.3 Intel Core i7 x4

Posted on Jul 21, 2013 10:58 PM

11 replies

Feb 27, 2017 12:54 AM in response to Dicere

Depending on local air quality conditions, you may consider having a

technician open the unit up and clean out the dust; while in there, have

PRAM clock battery replaced. And ask about a diagnostic in advance.

The whole event should be under an hour shop time, less a diagnostic.

My quad core i7 2.3GHz Late 2012 Mac Mini (server) has a temperature

control software mentioned in previous post, mostly as a guide. I figure at

about three years, (next December) before AppleCare expires, I may have

new PRAM Clock battery installed and the unit vacuumed out.

The unit is still running as-shipped Mavericks OS X and has 16GB RAM;

the two 1-TB 5400-RPM HDDs are rather slow, but aren't worked much.

If the work location is rather dusty, the fan will pull in extra debris and that

may affect the cooling; so that heat may cause other issues over time.

{Using G4 Mini Late 2005 model here, now; does OK but could use an SSD

or faster spin-rate HDD due to lack of physical RAM upgrade past 1024MB.}

In any event...

Good luck & happy computing! 🙂

Jul 21, 2013 11:02 PM in response to appleab

appleab wrote:

PS: if you know a way to increase the fan speed in OSX that would make be feel better...

smcFanControl allows you to set the fan speed you want. You mustn't set a fan speed higher than 2000 rpm if you don't want problems with the Mac mini.

Apart from that, note that aluminum gets hot quickly, so it may not be a sign of overheating. Download Temperature Monitor and tell us all temperatures. Also, reset the SMC > http://support.apple.com/kb/HT3964

Jun 20, 2014 10:19 AM in response to rsmith4321

I don't mean to resurrect dead threads but I'm experiencing the same thing and this was the first Google result.

I'm curious why OSX is designed to allow the cpu to get so hot before increasing fan speeds. My MacMini cpu regularly reaches 95°-98°C before any fan speed increase and even then it is sometimes only 1-2k RPM increase (fan maxes out around 5k). Is it just to save the fan bearing so the fan will last longer?

I'd feel a lot safer seeing at least a small fan speed increase around 90°, but then again what do I know.

Aug 12, 2014 6:23 AM in response to appleab

I have the same concerns as those noted here. My Mac Mini, purchased in March of this year, also runs very hot. It's alarming to find out just how hot. Though everything I've read says it's normal. From what I've read the processor in the Mini will throttle when the temp reaches 221(f)/105(c) degrees. This reduces the temperature, the risk of damage to the processor and the performance of the machine.

Frankly, I like to be more pro-active and I can't image running at nearly 200(f) degrees can be "good" for a processor. I found Mac Fan Control (http://www.crystalidea.com/macs-fan-control) yesterday and it seems to do what it advertises. I suspect reducing the CPU temperature by even just 5 degrees (f) will extend it's life to some extent.

FWIW: I've tested this program on a Mac Pro (Dark Tower) and a Mac Book Pro (late 2013). They don't get nearly as hot. As such, I don't see a need to override factory settings. However, on the Mac Book Pro I did note the unit was more comfortable on the lap when aggressively cooled using the app.

Mac Mini (late-2012) runs HOT...

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.