Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Netbooting - how many clients per server?

Hello,

I am looking in to having mac mini server (current version/dec 2012) to host about 60 clients, majority as netbooters, also maybe with a couple of extra remote VPN clients.

However besides gigabit ethernet connection defined here as the requirement, there is no note of how many servers would I need for netbooting the clients?

Does anyone have experience with this kind of setup? (similar to a kiosk environment)

Thanks in advance.

Mac mini, OS X Server

Posted on Jul 22, 2013 7:58 AM

1 reply

Jul 22, 2013 8:31 AM in response to KKOSX

I would be concerned if more than 20 clients were trying to netboot at the same time. Theoretically, you'd be okay with perhaps 200 clients as long as you could be sure that wasn't going to happen.

Under normal conditions, ignoring maintenance and other unusual occasions ... are these clients booting

1. once a day every morning, roughly at the same time as each other
  2. twice a day, but a random unsynchronised times, no more than 5 at a time
  3. only when power has been disconnected (rare)

I gave three examples, but if you want to describe your situation more closely that may prompt someone familiar with that kind of setup.

Netbooting - how many clients per server?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.