Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

just created a fusion drive in my 2009 13" macbook pro

I originally had an upgraded 640GB western digital blue hdd and 4Gb of Ram (back in 2009) but it was getting really slow.

I performed the blackmagic speed test and was only getting like 75/Mbs Read/Write.

So I purchased a samsung 840 250GB SSD, 8Gb Ram from crucial and the data doubler from OWC.

There were a lot a videos on how to install everything on the OWC site. (Or check their youtube channel)

So now I have an 880GB fusion drive that reads about 280 MB/s and writes about 240 Mbs (My 2009 macbook pro is only SATA II so it's capped at 300 MB/s and the Samsung write speed is capped at 250 MB/s.

So I increased read speeds almost 4x and write speeds over 3x and now my macbook pro is a snappy little beast once again. (Still not as fast as my 2012 11" air but still pretty fast)

Since I contemplated selling the 2009 macbook I thought I would share my story and mention that it was an easy process and really breathed some new life into my old macbook.

MacBook Pro

Posted on Jul 22, 2013 11:31 AM

There are no replies.

just created a fusion drive in my 2009 13" macbook pro

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.