Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

location of northbridge chip? early 2009, 4,1

Hi- looking for a pic of the specific nuts-and-bolts location of the northbridge chip on the CPU tray- I've read descriptions, but I'd like an actual visual for absolute confirmation. Need to swap out the heatsink. A much-delayed maintenance upgrade.

Thanks, cheers!

2 2.26 4 (or just "8" if you prefer) Mac Pro, MacBook, Dual 2 G5, Mac OS X (10.6.2), I still miss my 840av. But I don't mind the extra screen space.

Posted on Jul 22, 2013 12:06 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 22, 2013 1:59 PM

Look at page 22 of the Technician Guide you can find here.

BTW, I miss my 840AV too.😉

5 replies

Jul 23, 2013 8:43 PM in response to Grant Bennet-Alder

The issue is general overheating- I'm running Temperature Monitor along with smcFanControl, and temps on the northbridge chip run pretty high, even with the fans cranked up. Apparently the heatsink that comes pre-installed is relatively mediocre, as is the thermal paste used. If you google it there's various posts online about swapping out the Apple heatsink for something better, which I've been meaning to do for awhile...

Jul 23, 2013 9:24 PM in response to Jack Gregory

Thanks for that info.

¿What are you using for a replacement, and what is the source for those?

--------

My 840AV, the fastest SCSI machine of its era, died of overheating after running for quite a while with many SCSI drives on an FWB jackhammer controller and 68-pin ribbon cable everywhere inside. I think the power supply finally gave out.

location of northbridge chip? early 2009, 4,1

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.