Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Ipod classic keeps needing to be restored...

Hi, 🙂

Well basically I bought a 120gb 7th gen ipod classic off ebay about a month ago, and i have been pretty busy so havent had the chance to properly use it til now... I just tried putting more music on and it told me it needed to be restored after telling windows to "scan and fix the drive." It took all night to restore and then i tried syncing my music onto it again and it worked for a while then when i next plugged it in it needed restoring again.Basically it is just very tempremental and keeps wiping all my music off the drive then working again for a short while, before being restored again... 😟

Also when it was restoring it made really loud humming and clicking sounds, I know that this is normal to an extent, but it seemed louder that it should be...:L Is this also an issue? 😟

I just put it into diagnostic mode and the stats i got were:

Retracts: 5
Reallocs: 16360
Pending Sectors: 16
PowerOn Hours: 121
Start/Stops: 12678
Temp: Current 33c
Temp: Min 7c
Temp: Max 52c

Just how worried should I be and is there any way to fix it, or improve those statistics without taking it apart?

Any input would be greatly appreciated,

Many thanks

Naomi 🙂

iPod classic, Windows 7

Posted on Jul 22, 2013 3:20 PM

1 reply

Jul 24, 2013 2:39 PM in response to Naomi8

You can try the steps in this tutorial: http://www.apple.com/support/ipod/five_rs/classic/

But if you are hearing clicking, it may be an issue with the hard drive in the iPod, and you would need to get it serviced. 😟 You could take it into a Genius Bar just to be sure.

I'm not sure how much you paid for the iPod on ebay and if you want to pay to have it repaired, but you can find Apple's repair options here: http://support.apple.com/kb/index?page=servicefaq&geo=United_States&product=ipod

I hope that helps!

Ipod classic keeps needing to be restored...

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.