Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

how can i fix intermittent wifi connection on imac 21"?

What I have is a mid-2011 iMac 21" entry-level computer. I was able to run wirelessly for about a year with no issues but lately my wifi connection intermittently drops every 10 minutes and it becomes very frustrating. My brother who is also using the exact same model connects to the same belkin router just fine. My iPhone 4S, my iPad, my brother's iPhone5 and the other computers in the house works just fine as well. I install all updates recommended. I would like to know if there is a workaround to get this issue fixed. Thank you.

iMac, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.4), 2.5GHz Intel Core i5

Posted on Jul 22, 2013 8:03 PM

2 replies

Jul 25, 2013 7:06 AM in response to dee.tercias

Hello, dee.tercias.

Sometimes a simple power cycle of the router can correct the issue that you are experiencing. However, the issue could be a little more complex. Wi-Fi routers need adjustments to settings periodically for optimized performance with the constant progression of wireless device technology. Below, I have included two articles. The first article will cover basic Wi-Fi troubleshooting. The second article covers the recommended settings for current Wi-Fi access points.

Wi-Fi: How to troubleshoot Wi-Fi connectivity

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4628

iOS and OS X: Recommended settings for Wi-Fi routers and access points

http://support.apple.com/kb/ht4199

Cheers,

Jason H.

Jul 25, 2013 3:17 PM in response to jason269

Thank you for the reply Jason. I actually just sent my imac to the service center. He said they will perform a clean install on it and if it doesn't fix the issue they may have to change a part of the computer.

I will keep in mind the links you gave me. Honestly I basically know all those already, only I am more used to working on a pc based system and not on a mac platform hence your links are useful so can find my way through. but the basics are generally the same. Only most diagnostic tools on a mac are bound with proprietary setup that most of it in my humble opinion are not exactly user serviceable.

I am hoping the mac service center I sent my computer to is really capable to fix it. It is not easy to be separated from your computer. Once again, thank you for linking those pages.

how can i fix intermittent wifi connection on imac 21"?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.