Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Automator Script in Finder Toolbar?

Hi,

I created an automator service to paint selected files in a specific color in finder. Yes, the normal label color selector works fine, but I wanted a button that immediately labels a file in either red, grey, whatever.

I used automator to create several services for each color, but I have no idea on how to put them in the finder toolbar. Any ideas?

Posted on Jul 23, 2013 12:54 AM

6 replies

Jul 23, 2013 2:55 AM in response to arotto

Simply drag the service to the toolbar - for some items you may need to hold down the command key while dragging. I cannot try that just now for a service, because I have booted the system in SnowLeopard right now, but dragging, or command dragging, should work in Mt. Lion as well.

User uploaded file

But you might prefer to bind the service to a key combination. That can be done in the System Preferences > Keyboard > Keyboard Shortcuts.

Regards

Léonie

Jul 23, 2013 5:45 AM in response to arotto

If you want to launch it from the toolbar, without opening it in Automator, you need to store the service as an application, not as a workflow.

Use the command "File > Convert to" to create an application, and when you are saving it, set the "File format" pop-up to "Application".

You should see the icon turn to the Automator icon, when you drag the service to the Toolbar.

Jul 25, 2013 4:06 PM in response to arotto

What kind of input does your application receive?

You wanted to color selected Finder items, right?

I have set up the automator workflow in the following way:

• Application receives files and folders as input
  • Then an action "Get selected Finder items"
  • Then an action "Label Finder items", set to the color "Red"

When I use "file > Convert" to convert the workflow to an application and save it as "Application", then drag it to the Finder toolbar, it works. Quit Automator and close the workflow, before trying it from the toolbar. And select a file to be colored, before you do that.

What actions did you use?

User uploaded file

User uploaded file

Automator Script in Finder Toolbar?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.