Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

What is AirPort Extreme?

Hey guys, i was just wondering what AirPort Extreme actually is.

Looking around, i think it's just a good router that provides 802.11ac wifi and is really fast....

1. Is the Extreme just a normal router from Apple that supports 802.11ac wifi? Nothing special to it?

2. I dont know anything about these stuff...but in my current router, i can connect an internet cord to it, and there is another internet cord that i can connect to my desktop. I'm not sure if you guys will understand what im saying....but basically, my router has a internet cord go in and go out. The Airport Extreme doesn't seem to have an internet cord come out. Does that mean i won't be able to use wired internet if i choose to use the airport extreme? My desktop supports wireless internet so it doesnt matter but wired internet always seems faster than wireless, expecially in a desktop where i play a lot of online games.

3. I also heard that you can conect an airport extreme to your current router so that you can increase the area of connectivity. Am i correct? So i can basically have 2 routers in my house using the same internet cord? (one in my current router, and the airport extreme without an internet cord?)

4. Can you use it with windows?

if you are confused with any of my questions, please ask!

anyways, thank you in advance 🙂

MacBook Air

Posted on Jul 22, 2013 10:46 PM

2 replies

Jul 22, 2013 10:49 PM in response to andy1cool

1. It does that and provides the capability to have an USB drive plugged in and shared.

2. It has three ports for hooking up devices with an Ethernet cable for wired network and Internet access.

3. Only if connected through Ethernet or the other router is an AirPort base station or Time Capsule.

4. Yes.

(85977)

Jul 22, 2013 10:52 PM in response to andy1cool

1. The most recent AirPort Extreme supports 802.11a/b/g/n/ac. There's nothing special.

2. Are you referring to the DSL port? In that case, you have a modem-router. If you want an AirPort Extreme, you need a modem where the DSL cable is connected to, and then you have to connect the AirPort Extreme to the router using an Ethernet cable connected to the WAN port of the AirPort.

You can connect your computers wired to the AirPort Extreme. It has got four Ethernet ports.

3. Correct.

4. Of course. If you want to set up the AirPort Extreme with Windows, just download AirPort Utility and follow the steps > http://support.apple.com/kb/dl1547

After setting up the AirPort Extreme, you don't need any software to connect to it

What is AirPort Extreme?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.