Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

my wifi printer keeps disappearing from Lion

I recently bought a wi-fi printer (Brother MFC - J430W), and I have two iMacs in the office running Mountain Lion. Both have all the OS updates done. In one of the iMacs the printer stops printing each time I restart the computer (the printer apears in the System Preferences Print & Scan); the printing dialog box displays the message "Cannot find printer in network"; each time I have to delete the printer from the printers list, restart the iMac and add it again.

In the other iMac this doesn't happen, and the printer was added the same way.

Can anyone help me with this? Thanks!

OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.3)

Posted on Jul 23, 2013 1:27 AM

4 replies

Jul 23, 2013 1:37 AM in response to luis covas

If you have been adding the printer using the Bonjour protocol then I would suggest to locate what IP address the printer is using and then add the printer using the HP JetDirect protocol.

Note that a Bonjour printer is added by opening Print & Scan and selecting the printer from the little pop-up window that appears after clicking the plus button or by using the Defaults view.

Once you know the IP address of the Brother, open Print & Scan and click the plus button to add. Select Add Printer or Scanner if the little pop up window appears. From the next window, select the IP tab and then enter the IP address of the Brother. Change the protocol to HP Jetdirect and change the name to Brother Test. Then in the Use menu, select the MFC-J430W driver. Add this and then see if you can print. If this works fine, then next time you restart the Mac, see if you can print using this Brother Test printer.

my wifi printer keeps disappearing from Lion

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.