Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

RealPlayer to record (and archive) radio broadcasts

I am trying to find the best and most reliable way to archive radio broadcasts. I had problems on my first attempt yesterday when GarageBand suddenly stopped.

I have just had recommended RealPlayer. Any opinions regarding this gratefully received.

OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.3)

Posted on Jul 23, 2013 5:19 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 23, 2013 8:23 AM

I'd recommend WireTap Studio. I've used it for years, and it's perfect for online recording including streaming audio.

Another good choice is Audio Hijack Pro.

Forget RealPlayer. It's old and not well maintained.

Note: I do not receive any compensation for recommending any products.

4 replies

Jul 23, 2013 12:46 PM in response to MartinR

Thanks.

The Wire Tap Studio website says 'Note: Per-application recording is not yet available on MacOS X 10.7 or later. We're working on it!'. I'm on 10.8.4

Audio Hijack Pro is rather costly.

I am only familiar with getting BBC radio from my radio tuner, via a Belkin audio cable into the 'audio in' port.

When you talk about 'streaming audio', how do you do that ?

Jul 24, 2013 3:55 AM in response to ringnib

WireTap Studio - you can record ANY audio with WireTap Studio. I use WireTap Studio frequently (on Mac OS X 10.6 & 10.7) and have never had any problems with it. All that Note means is that right not you can't specifically make it record from one particular app to the exclusion of all others (say if you wanted to record audio from Safari at the same time you are playing audio with iTunes). This comes in handy sometimes but is not critical.

Streaming audio is audio you play from the internet. Like Listen Live onBBC Radio 3) or the Proms Listen Later.

Jul 24, 2013 4:30 AM in response to MartinR

Thanks again.

This is more comprehensible for me : you are getting closer to language I understand !

You recommend it for 10.7. I am 10.8.4, and there was an account of someone's Mac constantly crashing with 10.8.

I can see no indication whether it costs or is free. There is reference to 'trial version' on the sidebar, but it is greyed-off.

I worry about downloading software when there are so many accounts of negative effects on Macs, and complications bringing them back to health and uninstalling the disruptive download.

I may be misguided, but I would have greater confidence downloading an app from the App Store. Is there something there you would recommend, as near as possible to GarageBand, but allows single recordings of up to 10hrs + : or is there an app that you could set to start and stop a recording if one is away from home (like my oven !)

RealPlayer to record (and archive) radio broadcasts

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.