Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Restoring a Macbook Pro with a bootcamp partition

Hi,

Based on the advice that I have been given, I have decided that I need to restore my Macbook Pro because of the way it has been behaving. I have just a few questions before I proceed with the the restoration. I have a bootcamp partition that is devoted to Windows 7. Will I be able to proceed with the restoration without hindering this partition or is there a certain procedure that I need to do to avoid doing so? Also, when I restore my mac from a time machine backup, will I have any trouble reinstalling the Apps? I ask this because, I don't know if I need the install fies or if everything will just carry over easily.

Thanks for your help,

Stephen

MacBook Pro, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.4)

Posted on Jul 23, 2013 8:03 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 23, 2013 8:15 AM

The Boot Camp partition won't be deleted, always that you erase the OS X partition, normally named "Macintosh HD", in Disk Utility, and not the Boot Camp partition. Anyway, make a backup of your Windows partition with WinClone.

After doing that, simply start in OS X Recovery (hold Command and R keys while your Mac is starting) and use Disk Utility to erase your OS X partition.

If you restore the Time Machine backup without reinstalling OS X, everything will be restored and your Mac will be the same as before erasing the drive. I don't recommend you to do it because your problems will be back. Instead, reinstall OS X in the OS X partition and then, restore only your user files. Doing this, you will have to reinstall your applications

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 23, 2013 8:15 AM in response to sfrey000

The Boot Camp partition won't be deleted, always that you erase the OS X partition, normally named "Macintosh HD", in Disk Utility, and not the Boot Camp partition. Anyway, make a backup of your Windows partition with WinClone.

After doing that, simply start in OS X Recovery (hold Command and R keys while your Mac is starting) and use Disk Utility to erase your OS X partition.

If you restore the Time Machine backup without reinstalling OS X, everything will be restored and your Mac will be the same as before erasing the drive. I don't recommend you to do it because your problems will be back. Instead, reinstall OS X in the OS X partition and then, restore only your user files. Doing this, you will have to reinstall your applications

Restoring a Macbook Pro with a bootcamp partition

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.