Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I had an old PowerMac and now i have the MacBook Pro. I am not use to the new iTunes. I use to be able to drag music that I had added onto my computer from a CD to my iPhone or iTouch. How do I do that with the new iTunes?

I have CDs that I want to import onto my new MacBook Pro to my iPhone. I am not use to the new iTunes with the Mountain Lion software. I had an old PowerMac that had the Leopard software and I was able to drag those songs to my iPhone. I can't find that option. When I find the song I want to add to my iPhone, I tried dragging it to the top when it shows that my iPhone is connected with iTunes. Or how do i do this with the Cloud? I am new to that as well. Seems like it just held my purchased songs from iTunes.

Posted on Jul 23, 2013 8:48 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 23, 2013 8:52 AM

With the iPhone connected, click on its name, then check the box "Manually manage music and videos".

I find it easier to create a playlist in iTunes, drag all of the music I want on the iPhone to this playlist, then go to the Music tab in iTunes settings for the iPhone and just check this playlist. Then sync. The advantage is if I ever had to erase the iPhone I still have all of the music I want on it already marked. To change the music on the phone I just edit the playlist, then sync.

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 23, 2013 8:52 AM in response to Stasie76

With the iPhone connected, click on its name, then check the box "Manually manage music and videos".

I find it easier to create a playlist in iTunes, drag all of the music I want on the iPhone to this playlist, then go to the Music tab in iTunes settings for the iPhone and just check this playlist. Then sync. The advantage is if I ever had to erase the iPhone I still have all of the music I want on it already marked. To change the music on the phone I just edit the playlist, then sync.

Jul 23, 2013 9:02 AM in response to Lawrence Finch

Thanks! That make sense too! Looks like my phone was still syncing with the old computer so I have to clear it out. Does this go on the cloud as well? Also, I had backed up my phone in iTunes. Where to I retrieve that? Having issues with the mail feature on my iPhone and I need to set it back to the factory settings so see if that solves the issue. But since I had backed it up,not sure where I would find it on the MacBook Pro.

Jul 23, 2013 10:22 AM in response to Stasie76

iCloud only has content purchased (or free) from iTunes. Ripped music or music from other sources is only on your computer. As the iPhone can only sync with one computer at a time you should copy the iTunes folder from the old computer to the new one. It's in the Music folder on the old one, just copy the entire folder to the Music on the new computer. When you first sync your iPhone content will be replaced by the content of the new computer.

You can optionally enable iTunes Match. This searches the non-iTunes content in iTunes or on your iPhone and finds the original digital version on the Internet if it exists. This then becomes your backup. If you have music that it cannot find it will upload it to your cloud storage, but you may have to pay for the storage if it is over 5 GB total (along with your backup). iTunes content and Match content are not included in the 5 GB free limit.

Usually to fix mail issues just delete the account, reset (reboot) the phone by holding HOME and SLEEP until an Apple logo appears, and adding the email account(s) back.

Jul 23, 2013 10:43 AM in response to Lawrence Finch

Lawrence Finch wrote:

FYI: You can still drag songs to the iPhone even if not Manually managing music and videos.

They will show up at the very bottom of the Music tab in Manually added songs.

This way you can sync selected playlists, artists, albums, genre and still manually add songs.

I had an old PowerMac and now i have the MacBook Pro. I am not use to the new iTunes. I use to be able to drag music that I had added onto my computer from a CD to my iPhone or iTouch. How do I do that with the new iTunes?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.