Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Apple warranty policy

Hello.My name is Mihai. I will travel to Japan in a few days and intent to buy there the new MacBook Air (2013, Haswell). I will stay in Japan for 2 weeks and my accommodation is near Tokyo. I am aware of the wifi problem. Because of that, I have a dilemma and I need your help. Let me explain myself.

I have the following options:

1. Buy it from an "official" Apple store in Tokyo.

2. Buy it from a distributor (an online electronics store or an over the counter (brick and mortar) store).

If I buy from a distributor I save almost 200 USD (!!) compared to the Apple store (I checked multiple times, the same model, year, configuration). But because of the wifi problems, I might need to go to the Apple store to have it replaced. If I buy it from a reseller, does the Apple store still replace it on the spot, or they say: you didn't buy it from us, we will honor the warranty, but it takes time because we have to send it to service, etc.

The problem is I don't have that time, as I stay only 2 weeks in Japan..

So, I have the following questions:

1. Can you give me an answer? What happens in a situation as described above?

2. What would you do: buy it from an Apple store or a distributor?

3. Are any advantages in buying it from an Apple store?

Thank you.

MacBook Air

Posted on Jul 23, 2013 12:39 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 23, 2013 1:45 PM

raducan.mihai wrote:

If I buy it from a reseller, does the Apple store still replace it on the spot, or they say: you didn't buy it from us, we will honor the warranty, but it takes time because we have to send it to service, etc.

The Wi-Fi problem hasn't been fixed yet and it looks like the MacBook Air will need another update for the Wi-Fi card. However, Apple has released an update to fix some of these problems.

Apart from that, you can get the MacBook Air repaired at an Apple Store without any problem, always that you bought a new MacBook Air. If not, the warranty may not be valid and you may have to pay for the repair, but Apple won't refuse to repair the MacBok Air.

2. I would always buy from the Apple Store, but if the distributor gives you a new MacBook Air, go for one. Also, make sure you buy the Mid 2013 MacBook Air.

3. You can talk with people that know a lot about the MacBook and you can get other services too

8 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 23, 2013 1:45 PM in response to raducan.mihai

raducan.mihai wrote:

If I buy it from a reseller, does the Apple store still replace it on the spot, or they say: you didn't buy it from us, we will honor the warranty, but it takes time because we have to send it to service, etc.

The Wi-Fi problem hasn't been fixed yet and it looks like the MacBook Air will need another update for the Wi-Fi card. However, Apple has released an update to fix some of these problems.

Apart from that, you can get the MacBook Air repaired at an Apple Store without any problem, always that you bought a new MacBook Air. If not, the warranty may not be valid and you may have to pay for the repair, but Apple won't refuse to repair the MacBok Air.

2. I would always buy from the Apple Store, but if the distributor gives you a new MacBook Air, go for one. Also, make sure you buy the Mid 2013 MacBook Air.

3. You can talk with people that know a lot about the MacBook and you can get other services too

Jul 24, 2013 1:33 AM in response to carl wolf

I don't live in US, I live in Romania. Here, the base model 2013, 13", MacBook Air (i5 1.3Ghz, 4 GB RAM,128 SSD) costs the equivalent of 1600 USD. In Japan is almost half. I can't afford in Romania.That's why I am thinking about buying it in Japan.

I am not sure the product is defective. For every one that has a problem, there are probably 100 that don't. But there are a lot of money at stake (for me, anyway) that I have to take every precaution.

Jul 24, 2013 8:28 PM in response to raducan.mihai

I've decided: I'll buy a 13" MBA base model (i5,4GB,128GB) and I'll buy it from an Apple store. The peace of mind that they replace it immediately if there is something wrong and the international warranty convinced me. Not to mention I want an English only keyboard, not a Japanese/English one and the Apple store is more likely to have one in stock. I think all the pros of an Apple store outweighs the cons of the 200 USD price difference.

Thank you for your answers.

Aug 16, 2013 12:25 AM in response to raducan.mihai

I ended up buying it from an official Apple Store. It was more expensive than buying it from a reseller (about 200 USD more), but I have 1 year international warranty and I was able to get the 13" base model with english only keyboard. The resellers had only MBAs with english/japanesse keyboard that has 2 extra keys and it's very crowded.

Fortunately, my new MBA works great with no wifi or any other problems.

Thank you for your advice.

Apple warranty policy

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.