Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Importing video to new iMac from Canon Vixia HV30

I just got my new iMAC and didn't realize it doesn't have a firewire port. I'm trying to import video from a Canon Vixia HV30 HD video camera. I did some research and found (I thought!) that I needed 2 adapters: a firewire to thunderbolt adapter, and a firewire 800 - 400 adapter. I just got them and the adapters don't fit the HDV socket in my camera. Any help would be appreciated!

iMac (27-inch, Late 2012), OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.4)

Posted on Jul 23, 2013 12:19 PM

3 replies

Jul 23, 2013 12:30 PM in response to Paul Benson

Paul,

Are you trying to import into iMovie? If so have you checked in:

help.apple.com/imovie/cameras/

to verify if your camera is compatible. If it is AND you are still unsuccessful importing into iMovie you can either re-post in the iMovie forum or you will need to call AppleCare. You have 90 days of free AppleCare telephone support. If you have not already bought AppleCare I would STRONGLY suggest you do. AppleCare increases the standard warranty from 1 to 3 years and includes 3 years of telephone support.

Jul 23, 2013 1:31 PM in response to Paul Benson

The Canon Vixia HV30 does not have a FireWire port!

From the diagram below the HDV/DV is the VIDEO OUTPUT to be connected to TV with DV Cable DIF 100.

You can import your video using the included USB Interface Cable IFC-300PCU

You would need to download the following software:

ImageBrowser EX 1.1.0 for Mac OS X

ImageBrowser EX is a new image software program for Canon's digital camcorders.

CameraWindow DC 8.9.1 for Mac OS X

CameraWindow DC 8.9.1 for Mac OS X is software that will install CameraWindow DC on your computer,

User uploaded file

User uploaded file

Nov 20, 2013 2:22 PM in response to Dr.Mac.

The HV30 most definitely has a firewire port (it's the HDV/DV port (13) in the diagram you show above. I'm not sure about Thunderbolt (that's why I was looking here) but you need a cable with a four-pin firewire plug on one end, a FW800 plug on the other. The four pin plugs into the camera, the FW800 connects to the Thunderbolt adapter.

I've been using my HV30 (and HV20 and HV40) with firewire for years with my MacBook Pro; hoping to continue to do so with a new iMac I have my eye on...

Hope that helps.

Importing video to new iMac from Canon Vixia HV30

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.