Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

flashing black screen with ACD 23", Mac mini 2012 and Thunderbolt

Hello! I was wondering if we could reproduce a display issue that I have, and discovered it today...

The problem: horizontal green - blue thin line on the upper 1/3 of my 23 inch (ACD) Apple Cinema Display (DVI) and black flashing screen.

When: I was searching some sounds at soundcloud when I saw the problem at this particular page. (screenshot)

I took a screenshot but nothing "weird" can be seen... However opening the screenshot (in Preview) at full size I can reproduce the problem every time.

The ACD is connected to my mac mini through DVI to mini display port adapter into the Thunderbolt port.

• If I change to HDMI port (using the included adapter) the problem disappears !
  • If I connect a DELL 24" display with mdport to DVI adapter to the thunderbolt port the problem disappears !
  • if I connect the ACD with the same mdport to DVI adapter to my macbook pro the problem also disappears !

Mac mini is 100% up to date (10.8.4) and the has the latest Thunderbolt Firmware Update installed.

Any ideas?

(sorry for my poor English)

User uploaded file

Mac mini, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.4), Late 2012 2.6 GHz i7

Posted on Jul 23, 2013 4:01 PM

15 replies

Jul 23, 2013 4:21 PM in response to aggelos

Hi, I hope my English is as good as yours... & English is all I know! 🙂

Hmmmm,

No idea why it doesn't show in that screen shot, but maybe...

Take a screen shot & view that in Preview, move the Preview window around, if you see double lines it's a Video card/VRAM problem, if the lines do not move moving the pic around then it's the LCD or cable.

Jul 23, 2013 4:30 PM in response to BDAqua

Thank you for your kind words! 🙂 (and for your reply of course)

I know that the screenshot is "clean"... BUT when I open it (everytime) the problem appears, so I can see it but can't "print" it to screenshot. I upload the shot just in case, If anyone using the same gear, ACD 23" & Mac mini late 2012 is able to reproduce the problem!

Jul 26, 2013 11:07 AM in response to BDAqua

The problem: horizontal green - blue thin line on the upper 1/3 of my 23 inch (ACD)

I took a screenshot but nothing "weird" can be seen... However opening the screenshot (in Preview) at full size I can reproduce the problem every time.

Maybe my English is worst than I thought...

Please read my first post.

Thanks

Jul 27, 2013 3:19 PM in response to aggelos

Whew, that is one slow/bloated site for me, 15 minutes + to load... just saying. 🙂

Anyway, I had no problem screen grab & viewing in Preview.

As a test try this, when your at the same place there, use CMD+shift+conrol+4, drag the crosshairs to what you wan't to capture, now open Preview with no other pics open, use File>New from Clipboard, does that do the same thing?

Jul 28, 2013 1:43 AM in response to BDAqua

Thank you BDAqua for trying to reproduce the problem!

Anyway, I had no problem screen grab & viewing in Preview.

YES! I know... I don't even need to screen grab & Preview. When I open the particular page in Safari at the exact point, as you tried, the black flashing screen begins and the horizontal green - blue line...

It's not a Preview thing for sure and no screenshot can show the issue!

flashing black screen with ACD 23", Mac mini 2012 and Thunderbolt

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.