Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

does not remember my serial number

When I bought a new Airbook I found that I had to enter my serial number every time I open Aperture. There must be a simple solution to this but I have not found it.

Aperture 3, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.4), Just happens on a new Airbook

Posted on Jul 23, 2013 4:22 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 23, 2013 4:57 PM

Did you migrate from a clone or TM backup?

Then you may have copied an old ProAppsSystemID file.

Be sure to enter the serial number, when you are logged in from an account with Administrator priveleges - otherwise can it not be stored.

Aperture is installed for all users on your mac, so the serial number is written to the system library, not the user library, and this requires read/write access for administrators. Do you enter your serial number using an administrator account?

To stop Aperture asking for the serial number, first check, if you still have an old file "ProAppsSystemID" in your System Library.

• Quit Aperture.
  • Go to your MacintoshHD and open the folder "Library", then "Application Support", then "ProApps".
  • Remove the File "ProAppsSystemID" to the Desktop, if it exist and restart Aperture.
  • Reenter your serial number, hopefully for the last time.

Sometimes Aperture writes this file to a temporary directory, when it cannot write to the Library. If the above does not work, look at the temporary directory /tmp

Use the Finder's "Go" menu

Go > Got to folder and enter /tmp into the textfield. If you see the file there, move ProAppsSystemID to its proper location in /Library/Application Support/ProApps .

Regards

Léonie

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 23, 2013 4:57 PM in response to Mikecochran

Did you migrate from a clone or TM backup?

Then you may have copied an old ProAppsSystemID file.

Be sure to enter the serial number, when you are logged in from an account with Administrator priveleges - otherwise can it not be stored.

Aperture is installed for all users on your mac, so the serial number is written to the system library, not the user library, and this requires read/write access for administrators. Do you enter your serial number using an administrator account?

To stop Aperture asking for the serial number, first check, if you still have an old file "ProAppsSystemID" in your System Library.

• Quit Aperture.
  • Go to your MacintoshHD and open the folder "Library", then "Application Support", then "ProApps".
  • Remove the File "ProAppsSystemID" to the Desktop, if it exist and restart Aperture.
  • Reenter your serial number, hopefully for the last time.

Sometimes Aperture writes this file to a temporary directory, when it cannot write to the Library. If the above does not work, look at the temporary directory /tmp

Use the Finder's "Go" menu

Go > Got to folder and enter /tmp into the textfield. If you see the file there, move ProAppsSystemID to its proper location in /Library/Application Support/ProApps .

Regards

Léonie

does not remember my serial number

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.