Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

what happens if i hit "reset all content and setting"?

i was downloading my music from the cloud because I just bought my first iPhone. At the same time my laptop was downlaoding my music also. My computer was done before my phone so i decided to just sync instead of waiting for 4 hours for it to finish. Now there are may multiple dl's of songs and it messed up the organization of the albums. If i hit reset all content and setting will it just do media and stuff, like the songs and apps? I can deal with re setting it all up. Just dont want to go back to scratch and have to go back to verizon for network setup. Thanks.

iPhone 5, iOS 6.1.4

Posted on Jul 23, 2013 7:30 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 23, 2013 7:33 PM

If you go to Settings > General > Reset > Erase All Content and Settings you will get an iPhone reset to factory condition...that is, no content remaining that you have added.

27 replies

Jul 24, 2013 10:39 AM in response to Broadty

ok last night I ended up just hitting it without waiting for a reply. It worked. It removed all apps, music, movies, books and everything i wanted gone. IT DID NOT reset the phone to factory or as randers4 said "completely erases phone" contacts stayed in the phone. I did not revert all the way back it just removed the media. It worked great, reset my music so when i re-synced it the album covers came up and there were no duplicates. Hope this helps someone else and thanks for the help all.

Oct 23, 2013 8:29 PM in response to randers4

will be the effect on the cloud account if you erase all content and settings? Scenario as follows:

Daughter had Iphone 4; dropped in water; phone dead. Purchased replacement iphone 5 and restored from cloud account for Iphone4. All good so far.

A week after new phone was purchased I "saved" old phone by the rice technique. No phone number but phone works on Wifi fine. Want to keep as spare phone, just in case...

iphone4 has a new user id and password, but references the old cloud account.

I need to delete the iphone 4's relation to the Cloud account without deleting the actual cloud account itself since that is now being used by the iphone 5.

WIll erase all content and settings accomplish this? If not, how? (Daughter will kill me if I erase her cloud account)

Sep 22, 2014 12:48 AM in response to Broadty

It will delete all your personal data and settings on your iPhone. And you have to activate your device from scratch after reset. However, not all iPhones are applicable for this method. At least my young brother's iPhone failed by using this method. Actually, there is a simple data erasing app that can help you erase everything permanently in a few minutes, no longer to wait hours with default method.

Oct 17, 2014 5:55 PM in response to Broadty

I found this thread while searching to see what would happen if I were to select "Erase All Content And Settings" I too didn't want to get rid of my network settings as my 4S is just an MP3 player but I wanted to update to the latest iOS and the mirror folder was taking up too much space. The mirror folder could not be deleted whatsoever. But I did select the option and confirmed for it to reset, it took about 3 minutes. It deleted all photo's and contacts but kept any apps and music that I had remaining on my phone. I was surprised, I thought for sure it would delete EVERYTHING media wise but it hadn't. I just figured I would input my experience with that option for others in the future that search for answers. I will also state that the iOS running on the phone when doing this was 7.0.2, so what happens may vary between different versions of iOS.

what happens if i hit "reset all content and setting"?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.