Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

how to burn an idvd with .mov quicktime

umm... i import my .mov files made with iMovie to iDVD. When I try to burn a dvd, it says i have a map error but no explanation as to how to fix it.

Then when I burn it, it thinks it's burning but then it spits the blank dvd out and continues writting. But, I have cancel because it never finishes..?? what gives?

iMovie '11, Mac OS X (10.6.8)

Posted on Jul 23, 2013 8:53 PM

11 replies

Jul 24, 2013 10:17 AM in response to asgweb

First don't use iMovie's Share ➙ iDVD menu option. Use the Share ➙ Media Browser option with size = Medium.

User uploaded file

That will provide iDVD with a better image quaility movie file to use.

Create a new project by opening iDVD, selecting a theme and dragging the movie from the Media/Movies pane under iMovies-porojects at the right.

User uploaded file

Then follow this workflow to help assure the best qualty video DVD:

Once you have the project as you want it save it as a disk image via the File ➙ Save as Disk Image menu option. This will separate the encoding process from the burn process.

To check the encoding mount the disk image, launch DVD Player and play it. If it plays OK with DVD Player the encoding is good.

Then burn to disk with Disk Utility or Toast at the slowest speed available (2x-4x) to assure the best burn quality. Always use top quality media: Verbatim, Maxell or Taiyo Yuden DVD-R are the most recommended in these forums.

OT

Jul 26, 2013 1:33 AM in response to asgweb

.mov file=Quicktime multimedia format developed originally by Apple, using a propriety Apple compression algorithm for encoding data. It is supported on both OS X and Windows platforms. Digital Video Disks support only particular types of Digital Video formats, regardless of the program. Mov files must be encoded differently in order to be burnt to a DVD, and the software referenced supports this.

It would not make much sense for Apple to originally develop a program for a particular type of video format, Quicktime, and subsequently develop video software, iDVD, that would not be compatible.

Use one of the 100000000000 free video conversion programs if you are having trouble.

Aug 2, 2013 5:32 AM in response to asgweb

Ok. For others with this question. iDVD likes Media Browser. iMovie doesn't seem to make a new file. It simply encodes your movie where it is to create the Media Browser. When you click on it in iDVD it will then show you the encoded version in the pane below. If you haven't encoded it, it will not show up.

how to burn an idvd with .mov quicktime

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.