Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Unable to back up iPhone due to insufficient disk space on my computer

Hi All,

1. Sync and backup my iPhone 4S.

2. Plugged in new iPhone 5 (16GB) and restore from iPhone 4S backup.

3. New iPhone 5 fully restored and when I tried to back up, it says "Unable to back up my iPhone 5 due to insufficient space on my computer"

My iMac running Snow Leopard, with latest iTunes 11.0.4 and 100GB available space on my hard drive. Weird thing is when I restore my iPhone 5 again, the back up works just before iTunes prep it for restore. It simply refuse to let me back up when I force it to back up now or when I try syncing it. I tried to back up on my work PC laptop and no problems. iOS has been updated to the latest version.

I tried the following to resolve this issue but FAILED.

1. http://support.apple.com/kb/TS1503

2. Tried the different USB ports at the back of my iMac

3. Tried looking for this directory (~/Library/Application Support/MobileSync/Backup/) but the MobileSync folder doesn't exist which weird because all my other back ups for iPads and iPhones are in the iTunes Preferences.

4. Empty Trash Can.

5. Close all apps on iPhone 5 and restarted iPhone.

6. Done Repair Disk Permissions and restarted iMac.

7. Deleted iTunes and its Mobile Disk files and reinstall new iTunes

I'm out of ideas and read as much forums as I can and tried them all. Anyone have better ideas?

Thank you.

Rodney

iBook, Intel iMac, Mac OS X (10.4.5)

Posted on Jul 23, 2013 8:54 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 1, 2015 4:29 PM

I had the exact same problem in 2015 and found this question, so I thought I'd post my answer to i.

I couldn't find my "mobilesync" folder either, because I was looking in the root folder - you have to look in the folder that matches up with your user-name. Except the library folder will be hidden by the system. So I couldn't find it under my user-folder either.

I went into iTunes, opened preferences, went to the backup tab, and right clicked one of my devices - i was given a "show in finder" option. Which I selected - this showed me my /mobilesync/backup/ folder, with all my backups.

I right clicked the topmost folder, selected "get info" and unlocked the little lock in the bottom right hand corner with my user password. Then i clicked the little gear at the bottom of the window and "apply to all enclosed items", the system told me I couldn't undo this, and asked for my password again. I entered it and clicked "ok" - and then the backup worked.

I think this error is directly related to permissions. Hopefully someone else with this problem will find this thread and see this solution! 😀

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 1, 2015 4:29 PM in response to Rodney Lim

I had the exact same problem in 2015 and found this question, so I thought I'd post my answer to i.

I couldn't find my "mobilesync" folder either, because I was looking in the root folder - you have to look in the folder that matches up with your user-name. Except the library folder will be hidden by the system. So I couldn't find it under my user-folder either.

I went into iTunes, opened preferences, went to the backup tab, and right clicked one of my devices - i was given a "show in finder" option. Which I selected - this showed me my /mobilesync/backup/ folder, with all my backups.

I right clicked the topmost folder, selected "get info" and unlocked the little lock in the bottom right hand corner with my user password. Then i clicked the little gear at the bottom of the window and "apply to all enclosed items", the system told me I couldn't undo this, and asked for my password again. I entered it and clicked "ok" - and then the backup worked.

I think this error is directly related to permissions. Hopefully someone else with this problem will find this thread and see this solution! 😀

Unable to back up iPhone due to insufficient disk space on my computer

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.