Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

time capsule does not appear in shared devices

All of the sudden my Time Capsule does not show up in the shared devices. It's all up to date, it is working fine as a router and internet connection works fine. It also show up in the airpot utility and the light is green however it does not show up on the shared devices so I cannot access the data folider anymore.

Furthermore Airport utility indicates that the disk is damaged but I cannot repair it because I cannot access it.

Any ideas? (beside doing a reset which I have already done)

Time Capsule-OTHER, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.4), 2TB 2nd generation

Posted on Jul 23, 2013 8:00 PM

3 replies

Jul 23, 2013 8:41 PM in response to Gatorbiker

That is bad.. the light should not be green unless you told the TC to ignore the problem.

A damaged disk has to be replaced.. if the SMART has gone off or is showing as bad or no capacity then you need to replace the disk (or if under warranty.. the whole TC).

How old is the TC?

Model number from the base A1xxx helps.

You can try doing an erase from the airport utility if the disk shows up at all. But if SMART has gone off the disk will need replacement anyway.

If less than 1year return to apple for warranty replacement.. and if you have applecare on a computer it will cover the TC for up to 3years although the rules are strict.. so check.

See instructions for removal of the hard disk.

http://www.ifixit.com/Device/Apple_Time_Capsule_Model_A1302

Certainly if the TC is older than 3years.. it might be better to consider replacement. Certainly replacing a hard disk could be just short fix until the power supply also goes.

Aug 15, 2013 6:03 AM in response to Gatorbiker

Same thing happened to me with the TC and HD itself going bad. If you don't want to risk data loss, ditch the existing TC, extract and rehouse the HD and connect it to a new TC (or your preferred less intuitive network) and reconfigure to have the old TC disk recorgnised on the new TC via Ethernet.

It cost me about $50 and a few hours of time but gave me full access and time to move the data then reformat the old TC as an external HD after low level repair.

I can do it for you but you'll need to send me the old TC and a small fee.

DrGlenn

time capsule does not appear in shared devices

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.