Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to time machine my hdd from my broken macbook pro 13"

Just dropped water on my macbook pro 13" and it wont turn on. Assuming the HDD is still good and i haven't used time machine before, how would i get everything off the old hdd onto a new macbook air. Or preferably how could i time machine the old hdd, so i can restore it fully onto the new air?

MacBook Pro (13-inch Mid 2010), OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.4)

Posted on Jul 24, 2013 2:37 AM

12 replies

Jul 24, 2013 2:41 AM in response to curtis.g

Welcome to Apple Support Communities

As your MacBook Pro doesn't work, you have to take the hard drive out of the MacBook and put it in an enclosure. A basic enclosure will work, like the OWC Express > http://eshop.macsales.com/shop/USB2/OWC_Express

You have to use the OWC Express to connect the hard drive to a USB port of the MacBook Air, so it will appear as an external drive. You will be able to access to its data by opening a Finder window and selecting the drive in the Finder sidebar, under "Devices".

If you want to restore the data of the hard drive onto your MacBook Air, use Migration Assistant > http://pondini.org/OSX/MigrateLion.html It will create a new user account with the transferred files. Note that Migration Assistant may fail

Jul 24, 2013 2:55 AM in response to curtis.g

curtis.g wrote:

how would i get everything off the old hdd onto a new macbook air.

You don't use TimeMachine at all, instead you remove the drive from the machine and use a SATA to USB adapter cable to the new Mac as they are usually a lot less expensive for temporary use.

A external enclosure if you plan to use the drive as a external drive, however if the drive is old then it's not worth it.

Then use Migration Assistant in your Applications/Utilties folder and transfer files between accounts to consolidate if you wish.

Combine two+ Users Accounts on the same machine

How to time machine my hdd from my broken macbook pro 13"

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.