Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Bootcamp Assistant won't let me go over 20GB for the installation partition

Hi, everyone!

I'm trying to install Windows 7 Professional 64-bit on my mid-2012 11" MacBook Air and I've been having a problem with my Bootcamp Assistant in which it will not allow me to increase the size of the Bootcamp partition over 20GB. It only seems to give me two options: a) the default 16GB and b) 20GB. I do have 65GB available on my local storage and I would like to allocate more than 20GB to Bootcamp, preferably 40GB, but this just won't happen. I recall having read something about this problem a long time ago but I've forgotten what it was and what I have to do to rectify this. If anyone can give me some advice then that would be great! I've tried looking this up in Google and all I seem to find are threads about people wanting to resize the Bootcamp partition after they've done the installation. Sadly enough, I've not even gotten to that point yet.

Thanks in advance to contributors.

Regards,

Aek

MacBook Air, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.4), Mid 2012, 128GB SSD, 4GB RAM

Posted on Jul 24, 2013 1:27 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 24, 2013 7:03 AM

You do not have enough free space. OSx needs about 15% of the disk space free just to run and Windows needs a minimum of about 60GB or more to run correctly.

3 replies

Jul 24, 2013 8:38 AM in response to BobTheFisherman

Hi, Bob! Thanks for your reply.

That makes sense now that I actually sit down to do some maths. Think it's time to find a dispensible chunk of stuff on the little guy to make room. I need this Windows 7 on my laptop for something at work, otherwise I wouldn't have bothered.

Could've gone with carrying two laptops...but that ruins the point of getting the MacBook Air in the first place.

Many thanks!

Bootcamp Assistant won't let me go over 20GB for the installation partition

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.