Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

My Power Mac G5 freezes about 20 seconds after I plug in ethernet cable.

It's a late 2004 Power Mac G5. The modem is a D-Link, works fine with my newer (Intel) MacBook Pro, and multiple other devices. I thought it was a software problem, so I wiped the HDD and re-installed OSX. All works fine until I plug in the ethernet cable. Even that works fine for about 20-30 seconds, then Finder freezes, then everything freezes and I can't do anything except turn it off.

Any ideas?

Power Mac G5 (late 2004)-OTHER, Mac OS X (10.3.x)

Posted on Jul 24, 2013 1:40 AM

39 replies

Jul 24, 2013 9:35 PM in response to PaulRasche

Under "System Preferences" Then "Network" Make sure Ethernet and Airport are both turned off. Under ethernet, go to the drop-down menu on " configure." Using the network drop-down menu choose "Off" then, push "Apply" I would also go to the "Interface window" and clear out everything. So that there are no interfaces in the window, or all interfaces have been deleted.

Then, restart your computer. Go to "System Preferences" then "Network" and see if the computer has added any types of "Interfaces" The only ones you'll need (I'm assuming) are "Airport" and "ethernet". If there's anything else like "FireWire" Etc..you can use the minus button to delete them.

Now, in "Network" choose ethernet. It should be turned off. Your computer should not crash with the ethernet port disabled. If your computer crashes, it could be the ethernet port on your computer. Sometimes the ethernet cords can get kicked or stepped on. If anything inside the port is damaged the computer may shut down to avoid frying the motherboard.

So, Go to the drop-down menu (Configure iP4v) and switch to "Using DHCP"… Then push "Apply"

Very shortly after that, your computer should be assigned an IP address. and the red button next to ethernet will turn green.

If your computer crashes as soon as it is configured for DHCP it could mean that another computer is using that IP address via manual input.

Jul 25, 2013 12:24 AM in response to Vernon Alexander

Thanks so much for getting back to me.

So, I tried this, and here's what happened:

I turned off the Ethernet port as directed, and the machine didn't crash.

I removed the Ethernet connection and all other interfaces (I wasn't able to remove the FireWire interface though, the 'minus' button was greyed out), then restarted and added Ethernet back in (default name is now 'Ethernet 2'), and changed to Configure Using DHCP.

Clicked 'Apply' : the computer froze.

I turned it off, then disconnected all other computers and devices from the network.

I turned it back on, selected Configure Using DHCP again. It worked for about 30 seconds, then the same problem again - the machine froze.

It's very strange, like a gradual freeze. For a while you can minimize windows, select menu items (with no result), and buttons will have hover-over effects. Then after another 10 seconds, that all stops and it's completely frozen.

So I now know that the ethernet port works fine (the internet works for a while), but something happens after about 30 seconds that freezes the whole machine. I've never come across anything like it - usually the web works or it doesn't.

I've bought a USB wi-fi adaptor after reading other forums, hopefully that will work. In the meantime - any other ideas?

Thanks again, much appreciated.

Jul 25, 2013 9:32 AM in response to PaulRasche

So I now know that the ethernet port works fine (the internet works for a while), but something happens after about 30 seconds that freezes the whole machine. I've never come across anything like it - usually the web works or it doesn't.

I wouldn't make this conclusion. I'd suspect a hardware problem. Why? You reloaded OS X on the machine. This should rule out a software problem.

Was this a clean install? You tried the ethernet before you copied over any data from the old machine?

Robert

Jul 25, 2013 10:21 AM in response to PaulRasche

Do you have a wireless router? Does your machine have the AirPort Extreme card (802.11b/g) installed?

If you have the AirPort Extreme card then connect to your wireless router and see if the machine still crashes. If it does, I would say it could be a software problem. That would be the only way to know other than buying a PCI ethernet card.

If your ethernet port is trashed, you can buy an ethernet card. It takes up one of your slots if you have one to spare.

One more thing, if you have a good magnifying glass you might want to look inside the port and make sure there's not anything wrong with it. Sometimes the tiny hairlike connectors can get crossed with one another. This happened to me and with a very very powerful magnifying glass and a small (miniature) screwdriver I was able to separate the crossed connections inside the ethernet port. it worked fine until I kicked the cord on accident.

Jul 25, 2013 7:38 PM in response to rccharles

Hi -

Yes, this was a clean install, everything was deleted and OSX re-installed from scratch. The exact same problem re-occured after re-install.

This points to a hardware problem, you're right. The cable and the modem both work fine with other machines. The issue must be with the ethernet port on the Power Mac G5. But what kind of issue lets the connection work fine for 30 seconds (even loading up brand news vids on YouTube etc), then freezes the whole machine?

Another symptom - when I say freezing - I can still get drop-down menus from the menu bar, but selecting any items on said menus has no effect. The cursor still moves. The pin-wheel just rotates forever (ie. overnight) and nothing happens.

Yes, I have a wireless router, but there's no AirPort Extreme card in the machine (I have one coming in the mail). Hopefully this will resolve the issue.

Thanks guys.

Jul 31, 2013 10:08 PM in response to Vernon Alexander

Hi,

Just an update on this one -

I bought and installed an Airport Extreme card and was able to browse the web happily for a minute or so - then the same issue happened again - the whole system just hangs and I can't do anything but a hard reset.

My latest research indicates that Repair Permissions on HD might help.

Any thoughts? Is this a software issue or something to do with my internet connection?

Aug 1, 2013 9:04 AM in response to PaulRasche

This as me stumped.

A clean install should not have permissions problems.

You could ry running a linux live distro on the machine to see how it goes. Linux live distros for the PPC are hard to find.

Ubuntu

The Ubuntu folks stopped supporting the power PC a while back. You will have to install an older version of Ubuntu.

You may need to modify xorg.conf. See:
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=219532

Mac G3 modem install Howto
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=355205

You will have adjust adjust xorg.conf. See these instructions:
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=234437

I was able to get the last official versions of Ubuntu working on my G3 600.
6.10 Edgy Eft,
6.06 Dapper Drake

I used the alternate install and did the alterations noted above.
These versions are listed at the very bottom of the page.
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/PowerPCDownloads

Robert

Aug 1, 2013 9:54 AM in response to PaulRasche

Hello,

Have you tried a different Ethernet cable?

Open console in Applications>Utilities, check the system log for the date/time of the last problem & the Startup right after that for clues.

One way to test is to Safe Boot from the HD, (holding Shift key down at bootup), run Disk Utility in Applications>Utilities, then highlight your drive, click on Repair Permissions, Test for problem in Safe Mode...

PS. Safe boot may stay on the gray radian for a long time, let it go, it's trying to repair the Hard Drive

Reboot, test again.

If it only does it in Regular Boot, then it could be some hardware problem like Video card, (Quartz is turned off in Safe Mode), or Airport, or some USB or Firewire device, or 3rd party add-on, Check System Preferences>Accounts (Users & Groups in later OSX versions)>Login Items window to see if it or something relevant is listed. Or an errant process eating up RAM.

Check the System Preferences>Other Row, for 3rd party Pref Panes.

Also look in these if they exist, some are invisible...

/private/var/run/StartupItems

/Library/StartupItems

/System/Library/StartupItems

/System/Library/LaunchDaemons

/Library/LaunchDaemons

Or...

Make a New Location, Using network locations in Mac OS X ...

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT2712

10.5, 10.6, 10.7 & 10.8…

System Preferences>Network, top of window>Locations>Edit Locations, little plus icon, give it a name.

10.5.x/10.6.x/10.7.x/10.8.x instructions...

System Preferences>Network, click on the little gear at the bottom next to the + & - icons, (unlock lock first if locked), choose Set Service Order.

The interface that connects to the Internet should be dragged to the top of the list.

10.4 instructions...

Is that Interface dragged to the top of Network>Show:>Network Port Configurations.

For 10.5/10.6/10.7/10.8, System Preferences>Network, unlock the lock if need be, highlight the Interface you use to connect to Internet, click on the advanced button, click on the DNS tab, click on the little plus icon, then add these numbers...

(There may be better or faster DNS numbers in your area, but these should be a good test).

Click OK.

Also, turn off IPv6:

System Preferences » Network » AirPort » TCP/IP tab » Configure IPv6

Or whatever Interface you use.

If still a problem...

In the network pref pane for Ethernet>Advanced>Ethernet tab, instead of Configure Automatic, try Manually>10 BaseT Half Duplex for a start & work up after reboots if the slower works.

If still a problem...

Try setting the MTU ther to 1492 instead of 1500.

Aug 1, 2013 3:57 PM in response to BDAqua

Thanks BDAqua - that's a lot to go on with for the weekend! I'll go through all your suggestions and let you know how I get on.

Just another update - I ran "Repair Permissions", which took a good hour or so. Then attempted a software update (it's 10.5.1 at the moment). It actually worked for a while, downloaded about 750mb of OSX update, then after about 40mb worth of iTunes update, it hanged again, same old issue.

This is a clean install, there is no third party software, no USB or firewire besides mouse/keyboard/display.

The exact same issue occurred both before and after clean install, both with ethernet and with Airport.

So - my latest theory is that it's something to do with a conflict with the router? Or the connection type?

Aug 1, 2013 6:08 PM in response to PaulRasche

I ran "Repair Permissions", which took a good hour or so.

10.5.x is really slow at Repair Permissions, but that slow seems like some hardware issue!?

See if the Disk is issuing any S.M.A.R.T errors in Disk Utility...

http://support.apple.com/kb/PH7029

Have you tried applying the big 1058 Combo Update directly instead of SWUPD, 10.5.8...

http://support.apple.com/downloads/Mac_OS_X_10_5_8_Combo_Update

Funny thing is, after applying that combo update, you need to Repair Permissions 2 times in a row before restarting or using it.

Aug 2, 2013 6:14 PM in response to PaulRasche

In short, I suggest reinstalling the software on an external FireWire hard drive.

I had a similar problem afWITHthe installation of 10.5. The computer would run fine for a while, usually about three or four minutes then it would hang. I did as you're doing now, working from the software end and I got nowhere.

I was having a lot of trouble during the installation process, I don't know if you had problems or if it was a smooth install.

I didn't want to reinstall on the same disk again so I used an old FireWire 500 gig hard drive I had laying around.

After a great deal of effort, I managed a perfect installation. Then, I downloading the "Mac OS X 10.5.8 Combo" ias BDAqua suggested.

The internal hard drive was not original to the machine, and somehow I believe that was the culprit.

I completely wiped the external FireWire drive after every attempt to install 10.5. using the "Erase Free Space" option, something you shouldn't do to a new drive. It takes forever but I didn't care.

Also, the battery is very important! Make sure you have a new one or the one you have is good!

Make sure the computer is plugged in via ethernet when you do the installation.

BTW – I still use the computer from time to time with the external FireWire drive has the boot drive. It's never given me any trouble.

Aug 3, 2013 5:13 PM in response to BDAqua

Hi there -

I think I may have a clue about what is going on - but I need help to act on it because I don't know anything about this network stuff.

According to Console, this is what happens when I connect to Airport (and causes the system to hang)

mDNSResponder [22]: Note: DNS Server 192.168.1.1 for domain . registered more than once

mDNSResponder [22]: Note: Wide-Area Service Discovery disabled to avoid crashing defective DNS relay 192.168.1.1:53

Other info: in System Preferences>Network>Airport>Advanced:

Airport tab says that Airport ID is 00:0d:93:8b:8d:ae

The security is WPA Personal

In TCP/IP tab:

Configure IPv4: Using DHCP

IPv4 Address: 192.168.1.13

Subnet Mask: 255.255.255.0

Router: 192.168.1.1

That's all I can provide coz the system is stuck now.

So this is a DNS problem? How do I fix that?

Thanks guys.

Aug 3, 2013 5:55 PM in response to PaulRasche

Each Interface has seperate DNS settings as well as others. Did you try turning off Wlifi/Ariport & connecting the Ethernet?

Some possible clues for you...

Make a New Location, Using network locations in Mac OS X ...

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT2712

10.5, 10.6, 10.7 & 10.8…

System Preferences>Network, top of window>Locations>Edit Locations, little plus icon, give it a name.

10.5.x/10.6.x/10.7.x/10.8.x instructions...

System Preferences>Network, click on the little gear at the bottom next to the + & - icons, (unlock lock first if locked), choose Set Service Order.

The interface that connects to the Internet should be dragged to the top of the list.

If using Wifi/Airport...

Instead of joining your Network from the list, click the WiFi icon at the top, and click join other network. Fill in everything as needed.

For 10.5/10.6/10.7/10.8, System Preferences>Network, unlock the lock if need be, highlight the Interface you use to connect to Internet, click on the advanced button, click on the DNS tab, click on the little plus icon, then add these numbers...

Aug 6, 2013 3:51 PM in response to BDAqua

Well, I've tried everything listed above, and the situation hasn't changed at all.

In summary, I got this old mac from work, which hadn't been used for a couple of years. When I got it home, it was all fine, but the system would hang (bit by bit, in stages) after being hooked up to the web (via ethernet cable into router).

I did a clean install with the original disks. Same issue. I bought and installed Airport Extreme card. Same issue. I updated to 10.5.8 - same issue. I verified and repaired disk permissions several times. Same isse. I started in safe mode. Same issue. I tried BDAqua's suggestions above - same issue.

I think the issue is with the nature of the connection or the router. Is it possible that my router doesn't like PPC macs?

The machine runs happily all day long as long as it isn't on the web. The machine connects to the web just fine, but it only lasts about a minute.

I was hoping to use this machine as a download dump that I can keep running all day and night, thus freeing up my MBP.

What the **** is going on with this **** thing? I'm about to chuck it out.

Any insights appreciated, and thanks to everyone for your help above.

My Power Mac G5 freezes about 20 seconds after I plug in ethernet cable.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.