Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

how to print text input only ion a pdf document

I have received a document from a business. It requires me to input text into rows and boxes already laid out in the document. I can, with no trouble, scan the document and using Preview, input the required information, and print that on a plain white A4 sheet. My trouble is, I would like to print just my input onto the ORIGINAL document. My information into their boxes and on their lines. Is this possible and if so, how. I have an iMac Intel, OS Lion, iworks with Pages and Numbers and Canon MG4160 printer.

iMac, Mac OS X (10.7.3)

Posted on Jul 24, 2013 2:28 AM

2 replies

Jul 24, 2013 2:53 AM in response to LoobyfromLismore

Hi,

why dont you simply use Adobe Reader, that comes free of charge?

Scan the document, use the Sign tab and add text at the places needed, save and done.

Everything else goes into seting up the text elements based on some geometry values of the document you received. That means a lot of guess work and needs cooperation of your printer to pull in the paper in an absolute straight way. I would say that's something you can forget to happen. 😉

Tom

Jul 25, 2013 11:33 PM in response to Tom_DK

I answer this myself. I tried Adobe as suggested by Tom but didn;t like it.

THERE ARE A COUPLE OF WAYS OF DEALING WITH A PDF WHERE THE ORIGINAL DOCUMENT IS RECEIVED BUT IS TO BE RETURNED TO SENDER, and a typed printout is desired over a handwritten form.

THE PDF WHICH IS RECEIVED IS BLANK OF INFORMATION, BUT NEEDS TEXT INSERTED INTO THE RELEVANT BOXES.

THAT TEXT ONLY IS TO BE PRINTED ONTO THE ORIGINAL PDF FORM. WHAT IS CRUCIAL IS THAT THE ALIGNMENT SHOULD BE NEARLY PERFECT.

Assuming the original document has been scanned and saved as a PDF.

Print off a couple of copies of the original document so that alignment can be pretty spot on prior to printing to the original document.

METHOD 1 [and the most time consuming] using Pages. Under {ARRANGE} click to Send objects to Background and Make Background objects Selectable. Open INSPECTOR to Wrap and ensure Object causes Wrap is always unticked

Open a TEXT Box for each line or box on the form which requires information. That is the fiddly bit. When completed click on any part of the original document’s text and drag it off Pages, leaving behind only the text you inserted.

Click FILE, PRINT and the Print Preview should show only the text you inserted. Insert a copy of your original PDF document and print. If ok, print onto the original document you received. To restore to the completed document, click UNDO MOVE, that should bring back the document’s original text, then save as desired.

METHOD 2 ( a lot quicker than the above ) using Pages - Again under {ARRANGE} click for the same as above.. Now bring down one TEXT box and enlarge for the whole document and insert the information in its respective position. Open a New Pages document and keeping the text box open, copy and paste the information onto the blank Pages document. The new Pages should show only the text you inserted. As above, carry out the Printing process. Drag back the Text box and save.

how to print text input only ion a pdf document

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.