Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I'm trying to connect through the FTP client Filezilla. When I try to login with the wizard, it gives me a "503 Failure of Data Connection" reply; when I attempt to login myself, it gives me a "530 Login Authentication Failed." HELP!!!

My current softward is: Mac OS X Lion 10.7.5 (11G63)

When I attempt to use the Filezilla connection wizard I get the following message:

Connecting to probe.filezilla-project.org

Response: 220 FZ router and firewall tester ready

USER FileZilla

Response: 331 Give any password.

PASS 3.7.1.1

Response: 230 logged on.

Checking for correct external IP address

Retrieving external IP address from http://ip.filezilla-project.org/ip.php

Checking for correct external IP address

IP 27.0.19.56 ch-a-bj-fg

Response: 200 OK

PREP 52470

Response: 200 Using port 52470, data token 1871898076

PORT 27,0,19,56,204,246

Response: 200 PORT command successful

LIST

Response: 150 opening data connection

Response: 503 Failure of data connection.

Server sent unexpected reply.

Connection closed

When I attempt to login Host/Username/Password myself I get the following message:

Status: Connection established, waiting for welcome message...

Response: 220---------- Welcome to Pure-FTPd [privsep] [TLS] ----------

Response: 220-You are user number 12 of 500 allowed.

Response: 220-Local time is now 04:05. Server port: 21.

Response: 220-This is a private system - No anonymous login

Response: 220 You will be disconnected after 3 minutes of inactivity.

Command: USER 5475****

Response: 331 User 5475**** OK. Password required

Command: PASS ********************

Response: 530 Login authentication failed

Error: Critical error

Error: Could not connect to server

Now before anyone points out the obvious: my username and password are correct. I've already gone through changing them so I know they are.

Additionally, I've pretty much tried EVERYTHING I've read online, from messing with "terminal" (and subsequently the FTP and STFP options) to changing the sharing options and turning on file sharing/remote management as well as just turning off my Firewall completely.

Now I've used Filezilla before when I first published my site and everything worked fine. My site is published through Wordpress so most of my editing was done through simply logging into my "wp-login." I recently changed the theme and in order to change the header image in that theme I have to do it through my "wp-content" folder, which means I need to use Filezilla. I feel like a complete moron right now considering I've had my site for about a year and can't even doing something this simple.

I've read that the newer version of Lion/Mountain Lion don't support automatice FTP anymore, which (as I mentioned prior) I attempted to fix through Terminal. However, nothing I do seem to do works.

Can someone walk me through fixing this? And I do mean 'walk me through'. I'm not a tech-savvy nerd who knows all the lingo, I just know the basics so sorry if my ignorance offends you.

HELP!!

MacBook Pro (15-inch Mid 2010), Mac OS X (10.7.5)

Posted on Jul 24, 2013 5:05 AM

1 reply

I'm trying to connect through the FTP client Filezilla. When I try to login with the wizard, it gives me a "503 Failure of Data Connection" reply; when I attempt to login myself, it gives me a "530 Login Authentication Failed." HELP!!!

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.