Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

No Display + Angry Fan

Your help is greatly appreciated.

Life has been bad ever since my Macbook 13" (Late 2008) didn't boot up. After a few attempts I see that the fan is running furiously and the small white light that tells if the computer is sleeping is ON. ----- But there is ---- NO DISPLAY ON THE SCREEN

So, the only things that look like they are working are the fan + light.

What is wrong?

Also, my macbook does not have a battery at the moment and is running on direct line in from the charger.

Last night, there were a lot of fluctuations in the voltage which turned my computer off atleast 3-4 times.

What should be done?

Is this a fault in the OS? Or something with the Display driver?

I see that the computer is turned on by the noise fan makes. At the same time the 'white light' is on(sleeping and awake?)

Things that I tried -

1. Resetting the SMC (http://support.apple.com/kb/ht3964)

Resetting the System Management Controller (SMC)

Resetting the SMC on Mac portables with a battery you can remove

Note: Learn about removing the battery on MacBook and MacBook Pro.

1. Shut down the computer.
  2. Disconnect the MagSafe power adapter from the computer, if it's connected.
  3. Remove the battery.
  4. Press and hold the power button for 5 seconds.
  5. Release the power button.
  6. Reconnect the battery and MagSafe power adapter.
  7. Press the power button to turn on the computer.

Result - Nothing happens. When I plug my Magsafe back in and press start - the white light shines on me whereas no sign of fan starting(is it even on?)

But then I impose start for about 5-8 seconds, it starts with a slow running fan.

What wrong am I doing here? Please help. I think this method has helped solve a lot of similar problems like this.

2. Control + Command + Power up

To check for any OS flaw, I used the fifth trick from - http://news.softpedia.com/news/Things-to-Do-if-Your-MacBook-Does-Not-Turn-On-133 615.shtml

So, control + command + power = nothing, again.

Please enlighten with some tips or tricks to solve this fellas. Your help is greatly appreciated. Good Karma shall follow.

MacBook, Mac OS X (10.7.5), No battery, direct power in

Posted on Jul 24, 2013 6:49 AM

1 reply

No Display + Angry Fan

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.