Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I have a Denon receiver with Airplay. Airplay works, mirroring does not: What gives?

I just started using apple products (starting with iPhone 5 for me and the wife) due to the screen's sexiness, my HD music collection, and most importantly because my Denon AV receiver has Airplay built in. I love the Airplay from my iPhone and even for HD tracks I have Airplay support with Golden Ear. But what I really want is a mirroring capability and some more firepower so I got a bottom of the barrel mid-2013 Macbook Pro 13. It has the latest OSX (10.8.?) and it shows the Airplay Mirroring Option in Sys Pref. Here is where I get confused:

Airplay from the MacBook does indeed work with iTunes (although it is slower than the iphone). But, I cannot get the Mirroring menu to even show the Denon as an option. I have this horrible feeling that mirroring only works with Apple TV even with an Airplay equiped device with audio and video processing?!?!?! I truly hope i am wrong especially since Denon is a featured Airplay partner. I am really getting into this whole Apple thing so I really want the mirroring to work since that is 80% of the reason I forked over the cash for the MacBook when i have multiple other working machines (20% was the trackpad). I currently use a linksys N router. Would using the Express router do anything? I have one that I could move over there. I don't see how it would make a difference just brainstorming. Any ideas?

Thanks!!

iPhone 5, Ipod Video-to-win 7 PC-to-iPhone 5

Posted on Jul 24, 2013 6:42 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 24, 2013 6:44 AM

AirPlay Mirroring needs an Apple TV and no other peripherals work with it. All AirPlay devices are only designed to work with AirPlay. See > http://support.apple.com/kb/HT5404

4 replies

Jul 24, 2013 10:25 AM in response to mende1

That is extremely disappointing. So then I assume the new iOS update with mirroring will have the same limitation? I undertand the overall concept of excluding certain things to make sure that what they put out there works well, but is seems pretty silly for me to have to pay the $100 for Apple Tv after paying $900 for the Airplay equipped receiver.

But thank you for the response, I appreciate it. At least I know there is nothing wrong with my MacBook.

I have a Denon receiver with Airplay. Airplay works, mirroring does not: What gives?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.