Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPod Touch speedometer?

I cycle to work through London every morning, and the Google Maps app tracks me quite accurately the whole way. It should therefor be possible to record my location (along twith the time) at various intervals, and work out average speeds for the journey, as well as my route (to some degree of accuracy at least).

Are there any such apps?

I have looked for them, and all seem to need a GPS. But Google manage okay, so why not any other apps?!

Many thanks!

Lachlan (aka Lox)

iPod touch (3rd generation), iOS 6.1.4

Posted on Jul 24, 2013 7:22 AM

1 reply

Jul 24, 2013 8:56 AM in response to Lox352

I am not aware of any such app. For location the iPod uses the location of nearby wifi routers that are in Apple database. As you experienced, there are many such router the iPod can see in London. However, the location is not that accurate. Determining speed would be a problem since with the iPod moving the "speed" would be zero until the iPod used a different router for location and then there would be a step increase in speed. Over long distances.using many different router, average speed would be reasonable.

iPod Touch speedometer?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.