Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Filemaker Pro 6 Client install on Snow Leopard Server on Parallels

Hey Gang,

As per MichaelLAX "Full installation instructions for Snow Leopard Server into Parallels", I have successfully installed SLS on an ML iMac using Parallels 8. Worked great, thank you.

The only issue I am runnig into is we require FileMaker Pro 6 client to be installed and functional. FM installs fine, but the client does not seem to be able to "see" the FM Server which is on the same local network all our other macs operate and access FM on.

I'm sure there is a preference somewhere that is preventing the SLS install of FM from accessing the local network computers as they are also not visible in finder as they would be normally. I have no experience with OS X Server in general, so any advice is greatly appreciated!

Thanks,

Josh

OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.4)

Posted on Jul 24, 2013 10:22 AM

7 replies

Jul 25, 2013 12:38 PM in response to Josh1565

The fact that you are running the Server version of Snow Leopard should be irrelevant to the problem you are trying to solve. It should be the same, for your purposes, as Snow Leopard client.

I do not have enough experience with FM server to understand the nature of your problem.

So, FM "sees" a running FM server located on a local area network? Does FM server require that any networked hard drive be mounted on the client Mac, or does it just "see" it?

Does the client have an option to "connect" to the server?

Jul 25, 2013 1:20 PM in response to Josh1565

OK: Here is what I did:

I installed FM7 on my Snow Leopard Mac Mini and created a small file called To Do List.fp7. I made it a FileMaker Network server file in the Sharing... Menu under FileMaker Pro menu.

I then opened FM7 in Snow Leopard Server in Parallels 8 on my Lion Mac Mini. Under the File Menu I selected Open Remote... I changed View to Favorite Hosts.

Then I clicked the Add button. Then for Host's Internet Address, I entered the IP for my Snow Leopard Mac Mini (in this case 192.168.0.151) and gave it a Favorite Host Name (To Do). I clicked Show All Available Files for this Host and clicked Save.

My server file To Do List.fp7 is now visible in the window and I can click Open.

In my case, since I have only one licensed serialized copy of FM7, it recognized that I was using it twice and told me that error and then quit.

But in your case, you should now be able to open your local area network served FM files! 🙂

User uploaded file

User uploaded file

[click on images to enlarge]

Jul 25, 2013 1:14 PM in response to MlchaelLAX

FileMaker Server simply runs on a normal Mac, in this case an older G4 MacPro with 10.3.9 that is accessed by Macs ranging in OS from 10.4 to 10.6.

With regards to your question as to "Does FM server require that any networked hard drive be mounted on the client Mac, or does it just "see" it?", not quite sure I understand the question, but I think think you're driving at the fact that the install is virtualized and therefore is it visible at all. Not sure. But I am looking at it more from the perspective that since it does not show any other macs in the lcoal network pane, except an SMB enabled Mac, that the SLS install has something blocking the ability to allow outgoing (and incoming ) connections. I figured since there is no File Sharing Preferences as there are with SL (or not in the usual location), that this is a contributing factor.

The connect option from FM client to FM server is simply that the client goes to "open remote" and that automatically searches for the server. In this case, it cannot detect that a server exists on the network as it never populates anything.

Thanks MIchaelLAX

Jul 30, 2013 10:38 AM in response to MlchaelLAX

Hey MIchaelLAX,

I tried your suggestion, but still did not work, althouygh I think it may be along the same line of thinking. I am however going to fiddle around with like solutions and will report back. I've just gotten bogged down a bit, so my little project is on the backburner temporarily!

Thanks again for your help and I will post any progress!

Josh

Filemaker Pro 6 Client install on Snow Leopard Server on Parallels

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.