Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Podcast app auto-play on bluetooth connect, not wanted!

I've read several threads regarding annoying behavior of audio apps while connected to bluetooth audio devices, but none directly relating the problem I have.

In fact, the thing that bothers me appears to generally be considered to be desireable to most people commenting in these threads:

I'd like to have the option to just turn off auto-play when my phone connects to my bluetooth car radio.

Sometimes, I want it to do that, other times, I want to hear my radio, and I am really annoyed that I have to pull the phone out of my pocket, switch it on, enter my security code, switch to the podcast app, and finally, touch the pause button!

I can't find an option in control panel, or the podcast app that allows me to disable bluetooth auto-playback when I don't want it doing that.

I've got an Iphone 5, running IOS 6.1.4 (10B350) and podcast 1.2.1 (331), both of which must have already had the problem that most of these threads address fixed.

Am I overlooking something? Is there a way to tell podcast to mind its own business and not take control of my car radio when I get in and start the motor?

And no, I don't want to just turn off bluetooth! We have a law in this state (Oregon) that says you can't fiddle with your phone while you're driving. I want my phone to connect automatically, but I want podcast to shut up unless I tell it to auto-connect.

Thanks....

iPhone 5, iOS 6.1.4

Posted on Jul 24, 2013 9:04 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 1, 2013 11:07 AM

Thanks for the reply. I am able to switch back to the radio as my audio source, but the problem is that my phone doesn't automatically pause the podcast. I presume because it's still recieving the bluetooth signal for the phone.

The phone will only pause playback if it loses contact with the bluetooth device.

This means that I have to get my phone out of my pocket, turn it on, enter my security code, start the music program, and finally press the pause/play button! If I don't do that, the podcast will just keep playing without me hearing it.

This is such an unnecessary inconvenience. Why don't they just give us control over what apps auto-connect to bluetooth devices?

12 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 1, 2013 11:07 AM in response to ChrisJ4203

Thanks for the reply. I am able to switch back to the radio as my audio source, but the problem is that my phone doesn't automatically pause the podcast. I presume because it's still recieving the bluetooth signal for the phone.

The phone will only pause playback if it loses contact with the bluetooth device.

This means that I have to get my phone out of my pocket, turn it on, enter my security code, start the music program, and finally press the pause/play button! If I don't do that, the podcast will just keep playing without me hearing it.

This is such an unnecessary inconvenience. Why don't they just give us control over what apps auto-connect to bluetooth devices?

Jul 31, 2013 8:05 AM in response to RE750

I reallly need some help here, folks, this is becoming an unacceptible situation!

Update: I read on several of the other threads about bluetooth and podcast issues that the only solution that works is to delete the podcast app and use the music player to listen to podcasts, so I deleted it not long after I made the original post, which meant I had to re-download my podcasts with my phone connected to a computer running itunes.

This morning, I drove my car for the first time since deleteing the podcast app, and I was disturbed to hear one of my podcasts playing though the car speakers!

I don't have any music stored on my phone, so I don't know if the music player would have started playing music every time it connects to the bluetooth reciever in my car radio, but I can only assume that it does do that since it started playing my podcast.

There's no option in settings for music or bluetooth that lets you either tell music not to play when the phone connects to a bluetooth audio device, or to tell bluetooth in the phone what apps to start up on connect.

This is a major oversight in my opinion, and Apple should fix it.

Does everyone but me want music to automatically start whenever their phone connects to a bluetooth device?

Is there a solution to this problem?

Jul 31, 2013 8:28 AM in response to RE750

I have an iPhone 4S with iOS 6.1.3. I have a 2012 Hyundai Sonata Hybrid with Bluetooth. I have Bluetooth turned on all of the time, so when I get into the car and start it, it will automatically connect. I have never experienced the behavior that you describe in my vehicle. The device will only play music via Bluetooth when I select it. The only time I have seen it start automatically is if I turned the car off with Bluetooth music playing. Also, on the car radio, I only have to tap the AM/FM button to turn the Bluetooth music off and have it start to play an AM/FM radio station. While I will say that how the vehicle radio functions could be different, it might be something you can take up with your dealer and ask if this is the way all of the same type vehicle as yours reacts to Bluetooth.

Aug 6, 2013 10:46 AM in response to ChrisJ4203

The aftermarket stereo in my truck doesn't have the ability to control my iphone via the bluetooth connection.

No matter what I do, the iphone automatically starts playing when it connects to the stereo.

It would seem to be a very simple addition to the music and podcast apps on the part of apple, to just provide a control to prevent that.

Why does apple assume that everyone wants to listen to music when they turn on their car? Additionally, why does apple assume that all bluetooth enabled stereos have the ability to control an iphone?

I'm just looking for a solution to a problem, not a critique of the stereo in my truck. It is what it is, and I'd think that apple could have easily provided a solution to this a long time ago.

Aug 7, 2013 9:12 PM in response to RE750

The iPhone has the latest version of the Bluetooth stack installed as part of the iOS. It is obvious that something about the aftermarket stereo you have in the vehicle is what is making it play when it connects. That is not a fault of the phone, and given the large number of aftermarket stereos available, it would be difficult for Apple to design a switch, especially since it does not occur in many vehicles as well. You are free to provide feedback to Apple if you like at www.apple.com/feedback and click on the appropriate link. Since you said this is an aftermarket radio, why not check with the radio manufacturer and see if they have a firmware update that might help prevent that? Good luck.

Jan 23, 2014 12:39 PM in response to RE750

I've had a similar-if not the exact same-problem with bluetooth auto-playing music from my iPhone 4, running IOS 7.0.4.

Once bluetooth is connected between my car and phone: If I switch between the car's source of music from radio to the bluetooth connection with my iPhone, the phone just starts playing music from my library. Then I have to either hit pause on the lock screen, or - if I'm trying to use a navigation/map app - I have to switch between apps, access the "now playing" screen and hit the pause button and then I can swtich back to the app that I actually want open. Turning off auto-play while connected through bluetooth is all that is needed.

Mar 11, 2014 3:23 PM in response to RE750

I have the exact same issue. I don't believe there is a fix for this issue. But I know it's a phone setting problem. Had the same problem with my blackberry torch. But I changed one of the settings and it fixed the issue. Here is something apple is not doing. I believe there is two separate protocols. One for voice and one for music. It was separate on the BB. But for apple it doesn't allow for this. I'm hoping the ios 7.1 update fixes his issue. If it doesn't next step. Remove all music from iPhone.

Mar 15, 2014 4:53 AM in response to RE750

Good to know that I am not the only one having this issue. I also keep bluetooth turned on for hands free voice phone use. Every time I enter the vehicle I can look at the phone and the music player is running. It is very annoying mostly due to battery life. The audio will not come through the speakers unless the car stereo is set for the bluetooth audio input, however the player continues to launch and keeps playing until turned off. According to the car dealer, the facory radio is up to date on firmware. Apple really should give an option to turn the music player off in settings.

Mar 15, 2014 5:15 AM in response to dgh79

Yes. My problem is specific to the music player. It automatically plays when I enter the car and connect to BT. Funny thing is the music app isn't even running when I double click the home button. I really like to have the hands free option when I drive in case someone calls me. But you're right it's very annoying to have hit the pause button every time your enter the car.

Update: I installed iOS 7.1 in hope a fix would be on this patch. No luck. It still does the same thing. Next step remove all music and podcasts from iPhone. Will let u know how that goes. If this works. I'm planning on storing my music on iCloud Although I read it will auto connect to iCloud and start playing from there. We'll see.

Podcast app auto-play on bluetooth connect, not wanted!

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.