Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Macbook mouse moving and opening folders, files on its own

We have the last generation 13" Macbook and recently while working, the mouse pointer will suddenly start moving around the desktop and various files and folders will suddenly start opening up on their own. If we try to move the mouse ourselves it will start jerking around the screen but still keep opening files and folder.

It acts as if someone has taken control of the mac remotely and is controlling the mouse to move it around and open everything...

We have Sophos and have verified it has the latest virus deifinitions and have done several complete scans and it finds nothing. We also installed Macscan and it finds nothing. Our home router also has two firewalls that are active. We also checked for any software updates as well.

Not sure what is causing this or how to correct this problem.

MacBook, iOS 6.1.4

Posted on Jul 24, 2013 9:42 AM

4 replies

Dec 8, 2016 10:25 PM in response to cnsheets

I actually have pretty much the same problem. I was watching a video and all the sudden my mouse minimized my video then played another video file. It kept moving around and also trying open another video file. The mouse started moving around and tried to go to another folder, which at that point I tried to take control. When I tried to take control I was moving the mouse as if I was fighting a person trying to control of my computer. I even turned off wifi before that happened (I turned it off right away once I found out my video was being close by itself). I had to hard shut down for it to stop. I'm kind of worried it's going to happen again. I did a virus scan and nothing has popped up. Sharing isn't checked for everything. Just don't get it. If anyone could help that would be great. Didn't wanna make a totally new topic, because this topic is so similar.

Macbook mouse moving and opening folders, files on its own

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.