Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Space/Delete/Caps keys only work with Fn pressed. Apple wireless keyboard.

A few weeks ago i noticed that certain keys weren't working on my keyboard.

A row of central keys, delete, function, caps, arrow keys and the space bar. De-coupling the keyboard to attach to my iPad rendered the same results. No use of keys. I gave it a clean but zilch. So I bought a replacement apple wireless keyboard from a friend, not new but un-used.

It worked PERFECTLY.

BUT after the weekend, I sit at my desk to discover that while the central row of keys works fine, I have no delete key, no alt key, no down-arrow key, no spacebar, no caps...the capslock light doesn't even turn on.

I start going crazy. Since then i've:

I've cleaned the keyboard,

I've deleted relevant library files,

I've reset default keyboard function keys,

I've performed SMC/PRAM resets.

Nothing.

My keyboard - now two of my keyboards (and I only have two) are unusable.

But today I discover that in fact all the keys DO work. But ONLY if I press and hold the fn key in the bottom left hand corner. If I press the fn key the capslock button works, the light even turns on. if I press it down, I can delete things, use the alt key, I can make spaces between texts, I can use my down-arrow.

As you can imagine, this took a while to write.

I'm going out of my mind. PLEASE GOD SOMEONE HELP ME...

iMac, Mac OS X (10.7.5)

Posted on Jul 24, 2013 11:53 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 26, 2013 1:00 PM

Hi, my guess is Apple's KBs, but...

One way to test is to Safe Boot from the HD, (holding Shift key down at bootup), run Disk Utility in Applications>Utilities, then highlight your drive, click on Repair Permissions, Test for problem in Safe Mode...

PS. Safe boot may stay on the gray radian for a long time, let it go, it's trying to repair the Hard Drive

Reboot, test again.

If it only does it in Regular Boot, then it could be some hardware problem like Video card, (Quartz is turned off in Safe Mode), or Airport, or some USB or Firewire device, or 3rd party add-on, Check System Preferences>Accounts (Users & Groups in later OSX versions)>Login Items window to see if it or something relevant is listed. Or an errant process eating up RAM.

Check the System Preferences>Other Row, for 3rd party Pref Panes.

Also look in these if they exist, some are invisible...

/private/var/run/StartupItems

/Library/StartupItems

/System/Library/StartupItems

/System/Library/LaunchDaemons

/Library/LaunchDaemons

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 26, 2013 1:00 PM in response to thomas200

Hi, my guess is Apple's KBs, but...

One way to test is to Safe Boot from the HD, (holding Shift key down at bootup), run Disk Utility in Applications>Utilities, then highlight your drive, click on Repair Permissions, Test for problem in Safe Mode...

PS. Safe boot may stay on the gray radian for a long time, let it go, it's trying to repair the Hard Drive

Reboot, test again.

If it only does it in Regular Boot, then it could be some hardware problem like Video card, (Quartz is turned off in Safe Mode), or Airport, or some USB or Firewire device, or 3rd party add-on, Check System Preferences>Accounts (Users & Groups in later OSX versions)>Login Items window to see if it or something relevant is listed. Or an errant process eating up RAM.

Check the System Preferences>Other Row, for 3rd party Pref Panes.

Also look in these if they exist, some are invisible...

/private/var/run/StartupItems

/Library/StartupItems

/System/Library/StartupItems

/System/Library/LaunchDaemons

/Library/LaunchDaemons

Space/Delete/Caps keys only work with Fn pressed. Apple wireless keyboard.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.