Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to change "jabber"name from iMessage on Mac?

I am using only 2 account . One Gmail Account Id and other is Apple ID . I am not using any Jabber ID.

Still My iMessage is showing a Jabber name in left Pane downside.

My description of Apple Id is Gaurav Dubey and for Gmail ID is Google . Still Not able to change the name . Any Help would be appericated

Is There anyway to change that "jabber" name without removing any account

MacBook Air, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.4), Mid 2013

Posted on Jul 24, 2013 12:05 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 24, 2013 2:36 PM

Hi,

In the Messages app you can use your Apple Id with the iMessages account

You can remove the Apple ID from the set up but you cannot actually delete the iMessage account.

The same is true of the Bonjour account (it can be Enabled or not but not deleted)

You can also Add accounts using the Plus icon below the list.

This now list a generic "AIM" line used for Apple IDs that are also Valid AIM Screen Names as well as names registered at AIM.

Then at the bottom is the Yahoo option.

In between are the Jabber options of which Googletalk is one.

So at this point if you have added a Google ID you will list in the Account preferences:-

iMessages

Bonjour

Google

The Google one will have a description field.

This is the account ID by default.

Howerver as it is the only Jabber account the Window Menu is likely to list it as "Jabber" and this is also likely to appear at the bottom left of the Main Messages window and in the text field when chatting to Buddies.

User uploaded file

Changing this Description (deleting it) defaults to the ID itself.

User uploaded file

Although in some places it automatically shows as Google Talk

In iChat 3 though 5 if you had one AIM account and one Jabber Account logged in and had not changed the default Description then the Window Menu would list "AIM" Buddy List and "Jabber" Buddy List even if it was Google.

As I have had descriptions for some time it appears the app is remembering some of these for accounts where I delete the Description and then log the account in.

User uploaded file

I am sure that is a fresh set up with less accounts my Google one would get listed as Jabber in some places.

User uploaded file
10:36 pm Wednesday; July 24, 2013

 iMac 2.5Ghz 5i 2011 (Mountain Lion 10.8.4)
 G4/1GhzDual MDD (Leopard 10.5.8)
 MacBookPro 2Gb (Snow Leopard 10.6.8)
 Mac OS X (10.6.8),
 Couple of iPhones and an iPad
"Limit the Logs to the Bits above Binary Images."  No, Seriously

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 24, 2013 2:36 PM in response to gauraviapple

Hi,

In the Messages app you can use your Apple Id with the iMessages account

You can remove the Apple ID from the set up but you cannot actually delete the iMessage account.

The same is true of the Bonjour account (it can be Enabled or not but not deleted)

You can also Add accounts using the Plus icon below the list.

This now list a generic "AIM" line used for Apple IDs that are also Valid AIM Screen Names as well as names registered at AIM.

Then at the bottom is the Yahoo option.

In between are the Jabber options of which Googletalk is one.

So at this point if you have added a Google ID you will list in the Account preferences:-

iMessages

Bonjour

Google

The Google one will have a description field.

This is the account ID by default.

Howerver as it is the only Jabber account the Window Menu is likely to list it as "Jabber" and this is also likely to appear at the bottom left of the Main Messages window and in the text field when chatting to Buddies.

User uploaded file

Changing this Description (deleting it) defaults to the ID itself.

User uploaded file

Although in some places it automatically shows as Google Talk

In iChat 3 though 5 if you had one AIM account and one Jabber Account logged in and had not changed the default Description then the Window Menu would list "AIM" Buddy List and "Jabber" Buddy List even if it was Google.

As I have had descriptions for some time it appears the app is remembering some of these for accounts where I delete the Description and then log the account in.

User uploaded file

I am sure that is a fresh set up with less accounts my Google one would get listed as Jabber in some places.

User uploaded file
10:36 pm Wednesday; July 24, 2013

 iMac 2.5Ghz 5i 2011 (Mountain Lion 10.8.4)
 G4/1GhzDual MDD (Leopard 10.5.8)
 MacBookPro 2Gb (Snow Leopard 10.6.8)
 Mac OS X (10.6.8),
 Couple of iPhones and an iPad
"Limit the Logs to the Bits above Binary Images."  No, Seriously

How to change "jabber"name from iMessage on Mac?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.