Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Factory reset of a Windows (Bootcamp) partition

Hi,

I just recently did a system recovery of my Mac OS X partition and imported only the User files because the system files had somehow become corrupted. I would like to do the same thing for my Bootcamp partition, but I am not sure of what program to use to erase the Bootcamp partition that would also allow me to access the Windows 7 recovery file. Do I use disk utility via the Mac partition or do I use the system configuration via the Windows 7 partition? I don't want to do a full backup and restore, but I want to do a partial one where I can get only the files that I really need back on.

Thanks for your help,

Stephen

MacBook Pro, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.4)

Posted on Jul 24, 2013 11:56 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 24, 2013 12:19 PM

If you erased and installed the MacintoshHD partition and restored that new and just your files, then you should be able to option/alt key boot into the Windows BootCamp partition like before which then you can backup files out of that to a external drive, then boot back into OS X and use the BootCamp Utiliy to remove the BootCamp Partition and start all over again with a fresh Windows install.

There is System Restore in Windows, type System Restore in the Windows Start Menu to go to it, it allows you to restore your Windows and installed Apps back to a earlier state, but keeps your files intact.

Then you Windows Update and check all your third party software and browser plugins for updates.

Then you update your anti-virus definitions and run a scan on the drive to detect malware on your users files and delete, restore those from backup.

There is the rare malware that really hoses a Windows machine so even System Restore doesn't work, but your supposed to use WinClone 3 in OS x to backup the BootCamp partition so it can be restored from OS X.

So that's your options. 🙂

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 24, 2013 12:19 PM in response to sfrey000

If you erased and installed the MacintoshHD partition and restored that new and just your files, then you should be able to option/alt key boot into the Windows BootCamp partition like before which then you can backup files out of that to a external drive, then boot back into OS X and use the BootCamp Utiliy to remove the BootCamp Partition and start all over again with a fresh Windows install.

There is System Restore in Windows, type System Restore in the Windows Start Menu to go to it, it allows you to restore your Windows and installed Apps back to a earlier state, but keeps your files intact.

Then you Windows Update and check all your third party software and browser plugins for updates.

Then you update your anti-virus definitions and run a scan on the drive to detect malware on your users files and delete, restore those from backup.

There is the rare malware that really hoses a Windows machine so even System Restore doesn't work, but your supposed to use WinClone 3 in OS x to backup the BootCamp partition so it can be restored from OS X.

So that's your options. 🙂

Factory reset of a Windows (Bootcamp) partition

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.