Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Time Machine backup with multiple user accounts

How do I backup a machine using a Time Capsule/Time Machine that contains multiple user accounts? Ultimately I'd like to flexibility of using the Restore from Time Machine Backup command to port the user data of one account onto a new Mac. Thanks for any insight.

Posted on Jul 24, 2013 4:00 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 24, 2013 4:03 PM

Each user account will be backed up if you are backing up your entire disk and did not exclude anything. Time Machine does a full-disk backup which would include all the user accounts since they are all stored in the same /Users/ folder.

4 replies

Jul 24, 2013 4:07 PM in response to Kappy

Thanks Kappy! Just to confirm, does this mean that I can have either of my two accounts open, and the TM backup will be performed in the same manner of making a complete backup of the drive regardless of which account is open? My goal is to be able to do a Restore to "separate" the accounts onto two different Macs at a later time. I suppose then I'd be able to select the user account upon restore, right? Thanks again. Paul

Jul 24, 2013 4:26 PM in response to Paul Melnychuck

If Time Machine is enabled in one account, then when that account is active Time Machine (which is set up in that account) will backup the entire drive unless you exclude something. That backup will contain everything on the drive being backed up. You can restore either account separately, but when logged into one account you will not have access to files belonging to the other account. You can restore individual files and folders from either account, however.

Time Machine backup with multiple user accounts

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.