Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Time Capsule & External Hard Drive

Hello! I recently purchased the newest Time Capsule. The product its amazing, the wifi is faster; however, when I connected my external hard drive to my time capsule, the external hard drive icon does not appear on my finder. I only have access to the time capsule, but nothing seems to work. Any help that can be given to me will be helpful! I am desperate 😐

Time Capsule-OTHER

Posted on Jul 24, 2013 6:06 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 24, 2013 6:14 PM

Ideally, that hard drive will be formatted in Mac OS Extended (Journaled), which is also known as HFS+. Other formats that will work with the Time Capsule are FAT16 and FAT32.

Windows formats of exFAT and NTSF are not supported by the Time Capsule.

The USB port on the Time Capsule is not a high power port, like you would find on a computer. Depending on the power requirements of your hard drive, you may need to use a powered USB hub with the Time Capsule....even if the drive has its own power supply.

10 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 24, 2013 6:14 PM in response to edgarthegr8

Ideally, that hard drive will be formatted in Mac OS Extended (Journaled), which is also known as HFS+. Other formats that will work with the Time Capsule are FAT16 and FAT32.

Windows formats of exFAT and NTSF are not supported by the Time Capsule.

The USB port on the Time Capsule is not a high power port, like you would find on a computer. Depending on the power requirements of your hard drive, you may need to use a powered USB hub with the Time Capsule....even if the drive has its own power supply.

Jul 24, 2013 6:48 PM in response to edgarthegr8

Lets' find out if the Time Capsule is recognizing the drive.

Open Macintosh HD > Applications > Utilities > AirPort Utility

Click the Time Capsule icon, then click Edit

Click the Disks tab

Here, you should see the name of your Time Capsule drive....named "Data" unless you have changed the name....and your other hard drive.

Is that the case?

In the example below, my Time Capsule drive is named Backups and another drive, WD Drive, is attached at the USB port.

User uploaded file

Jul 24, 2013 7:16 PM in response to edgarthegr8

I assume that the WD drive works when you plug it into your Mac.

Can you try another drive with the Time Capsule?

I have tried several drives here as a test and they all work fine when plugged into the USB port on the Time Capsule.

If another drive behaves the same for you with your Time Capsule, it would appear that you have a defective USB port on the Time Capsule. I cannot think of anything else to try.

Time Capsule & External Hard Drive

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.