Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

how to unlock and iPhone if the screen is broken

I have a broken phone which I cant sync to my computer because its locked, and the screen is broken so i cant unlock it is there any way to unlock the phone by entering the passcode on the computer??

Thanks for the help!!

iPhone 5, iOS 6.1.4, the screen is completely broken>

Posted on Jul 24, 2013 8:04 PM

7 replies

Jul 24, 2013 11:03 PM in response to old mc joe

old mc joe wrote:

I have a broken phone which I cant sync to my computer because its locked, and the screen is broken so i cant unlock it is there any way to unlock the phone by entering the passcode . . . {snip}

Yep, but not on the computer

You need. . .

• One hi-def TV
  • One HDMI cable
  • One lightning to HDMI adapter
  • At least one steady hand
  • A lot of patience.

Connect the adapter to the iPhone, the cable to the adapter, the TV to the cable. Use the video feed on the TV to unlock the iPhone. If you touch the wrong spot on the iPhone, use the back button. Remember, you'll only have a few chances to get it right before tirggering a time delay on your passcode lock.

Jul 14, 2015 12:25 PM in response to Dirty Vegas

Great tactics, worked flawlessly! I unlocked an iPhone 6 with a shattered screen.

Tips:

• Mark the back button with a Sharpie (blue or silver) so that you don't keep hitting 'Done' by accident.
  • Find someone that uses the same device all the time, their fingers are probably 'programmed' to hit the right keys like mine were; I text way too much.
  • Once the device is unlocked, immediately connect a Bluetooth keyboard so it's easier to remove the pass code.

Jul 12, 2016 6:12 PM in response to old mc joe

FOUND THE SOLUTION! Buy the Lighting to USB ( http://www.apple.com/shop/product/MK0W2AM/A/lightning-to-usb-3-camera-adapter?fn ode=85 ) from apple and then connect a USB keyboard; you will be able to type in your passcode which will allow iTunes to backup your phone so that you won't lose any of your stuff. Lay your finger on the home button as if you were trying to unlock it to engage the the ability to type in your passcode. If you dont have access to this feature try engaging Siri which will prompt you to type in your passcode as well.

Jul 14, 2016 2:01 PM in response to evanross21

Hi there!

I found your post because I'm desperate to get important photos off of my destroyed iphone. It can still receive a charge, and my Mac knows it's connected, but I can't type in the passcode or "trust this device". It has never been plugged into this computer before.

So - I'm hoping your solution may be able to help me, and I just need some clarification. Did you plug the Lightening to USB cord to your phone and then plug the whole thing into a USB keyboard? You were able to use the keyboard to type in the passcode? My screen is so destroyed that I can't see anything on it, so I wasn't sure if this might be an option for me to try. I do know I can "make it come alive" though because at the Genius Bar they hooked it up to a TV and I could see the display. I guess I'm looking for a step by step... I don't have the cord or a keyboard, so I'd have to go out and buy both.

Thank you so much!!!

how to unlock and iPhone if the screen is broken

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.