Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

First try at a raid and CCC and have an issue?

I recently bought 2 new 4tb seagate drives and an OWC elite pro dual inclosure with esata connections to back up my media files. For the last few years I've used a single drive for my media files and I've backed up that single drive with other single drives via CCC with no issues. I've had succes setting up the new stripped raid with the 2 4tb drives to create 1 8tb volume. However numerous tries to clone my single media drive to the raid using CCC have failed. The raid will unmount after 6 hours sometimes longer. Sometimes CCC will say there were problems with files. Today I reformated the raid back to 2 individual drives. I tried clonning my media drive to just one of the new drives in the new enclosure and it worked fine. I'm running the current version of mountain lion 10.8.4. So it seems to me that there seems to be an issue with the raid I'm setting up and mountain lion or maybe CCC. Anybody have any clue as to what's going on here? My next step is to try the 2 new drives in 2 of my mac pro's internal bays.....set up a raid again and try clonning that way. I was hoping to check in here first to see if someone knows what the issue may be first.

Thanks

Dave

Posted on Jul 24, 2013 7:12 PM

12 replies

Jul 24, 2013 7:58 PM in response to Meg The Dog

Yes I am connecting the bay via esata to a OWC mercury accelsior_e2 PCI express ssd card.

http://ftp.macsales.com/shop/SSD/PCIe/OWC/Mercury_Accelsior/RAID

No other esata connections. Each drive as an individual connection to the card. Also this card is only a few months old. This is the first time I've had any thing connected to the esata ports.

Any help is appreciated!

Jul 24, 2013 8:44 PM in response to nbar

Yes the the dual drive enclosure has 2 esata ports.

http://eshop.macsales.com/shop/esata/Elite-AL_Pro-RAID_Ready_Dual-Drive

The mercury accelsior_e2 PCI express ssd has 2 esata ports also. I can see and format both individual drives.

I can even format them into a stripped raid via disk utility. The problem occures when I try to clone a 3tb drive full of media files to the enclosure when it has been formated into a stripped raid. It will fail to clone usually because it unmounts at some point during the cloning process.

Jul 24, 2013 9:48 PM in response to Dave Turner3

This could be many things, doubtful it is hardware in itself as much as compatibility since each drive functions perfectly fine before the RAID. I would definitely download that driver. You mention energy saver preferences are off (ie unchecking 'Put hard disk to Sleep when Possible'), but keep in mind these preferences only apply to your bootable volume. The driver specifically addresses this issue.

Also, just reading up online and in the forums, ML may be buggy when it comes to 2TB+ volumes (though in theory OSX could support 8EB of HFS+ formatted arrays!). Another option would be to purchase a program that would substitute for OSX native Disk Utility in handling large sized RAIDs:

"Apple’s Disk Utility can be quite flaky with RAID and partitioning. It can crash and do other confusing things; you might have to repartition and/or delete volumes to restore drives to a basic state. For me however, it has never done anything bad to drives/volumes that it wasn’t already asked to operate on. I do not recommend Disk Utility for more complex RAID setups due to its bugs. Consider SoftRAID instead. "

Download the driver first! Best of Luck.

RAID striping and mirroring - Macintosh Performance Guide

Is Mountain Lion mishandling large drives? | MacFixIt - CNET Reviews

"OS X: Mac OS Extended format (HFS Plus) volume and file limits"

First try at a raid and CCC and have an issue?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.