Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Why can't the size of updates/downloads/apps be shown in the app store?

Hi, Not everyone has fast internet or big download caps. Why can't you show the size of downloads so I can make an informed decision.

To be fair, this is not just apple. Nobody does this anymore (well MS does).

Please internet, let me know the size of the payload so I can decide whether it's worthwhile.

iMac, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.4)

Posted on Jul 24, 2013 10:02 PM

6 replies

Jul 25, 2013 2:29 AM in response to Kappy

Well, actually, they were right in some circumstances. This is a major pain for me too. If you look at updates, Apple appears to have removed any information about download size. It is a major exercise to go and Google an update, find a related web page, and then you may be able to see how big it is. Your examples are spot on for apps, but for system updates, sizes are typically not shown - at least on my system. In earlier revisions of OS X, the size of software updates was shown up front.

Just so we are talking about the same thing, here is my screen grab (hope I didn't reduce this in size too much to be legible):

User uploaded file

Jul 26, 2013 2:52 AM in response to Eric Root

Thanks Eric and Kappy. I have sent Apple feedback on this issue because I think it is pretty annoying.

I am not going to launch an update then check the size in the progress bar, because when I have to pause it until my next appropriate off peak download time, it often fails. I had this happen recently after pausing downloads for apps and I had to re-download each app individually from the store, as the download would not resume correctly. Granted this may not always be the case, but checking the size by starting to download it is not a great solution for me.

Ivan

Why can't the size of updates/downloads/apps be shown in the app store?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.