Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Black blink Thunderbolt Display and MacBook Pro

Hi there,

I have a 13'' MacBook Pro (march 2012), and a 27-inch Thunderbolt display (march 2013).

Everything worked fine, until lately where I:

- Got myself a Apple TV

- Bought and installed OS X Mountain Lion from App store (to be able to use screen mirroring on my TV at home)

- Exchanged my 4 GB RAM with 8 GB RAM (Original DDR3 1333Hz)

Suddenly my Thunderbolt screen at work blinks black, about 10 times each our. Not for long, but only for a few seconds.

(Exactly like in this video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C4NagYyVtWA )

It is really annoying. Anyone had the same expirience, or better yet: Know what I can do about it?

Thanks a ton.

MacBook Pro, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.4)

Posted on Jul 25, 2013 1:53 AM

3 replies

Aug 14, 2013 3:11 PM in response to Mick-Hansen

Mick-Hansen, did you ever find an answer to this question? I am having the exact same issue.

Late 2011 MacBook Pro 13"

16 GB 1333MHz RAM

OS X 10.8.4

Thunderbolt Display

Firmware 22.2

Blinks several time per hour. Sometimes, several times per minute.

I am using it as the primary display, and the onboard 13" as the secondary.

Driving me nuts! I wish that I had gone with the 28" at 1/3 the cost!

Aug 14, 2015 7:46 AM in response to Mick-Hansen

Maybe this helps someone.

I have the same issue on a MBP 13" of late 2011, bought in May 2012, which originally came with OS X Lion, and has been working together with a Thunderbolt Display bought at the same time, with no issues for +3 years. Right after recently updating to Mountain Lion the blinking problem started on the Thunderbolt display.

By the way, it feels strange to find that the issue has not been solved by Apple after so long time.

Something that works with me is (strange but true), when I got the blinking on the Thunderbolt Display, I put the Mac to sleep and right after wake it up (both sleep and wake with the display connected), and the blinking issue disappear until the next reboot.

Cheers!

Black blink Thunderbolt Display and MacBook Pro

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.