Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Mail attaching extra random emails

Hi, I wonder if anyone knows why my sent email is occasionally attaching previously sent emails to other people! I can't tell beforehand if it has one of these attachments but after my email has been sent I can see it has an attachment ..... another previously sent email. On one occasion it attached two emails both written more than a year previously. One of the attached mails is always to the same person. Thanks for any ideas.

MacBook Air, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.4), Mail problems

Posted on Jul 25, 2013 3:02 AM

3 replies

Jul 27, 2013 8:56 AM in response to katlg3

Hello Katlg3,

I would recommend if the email account is IMAP removing and re adding it.

Removing an email account

You may want to remove an email account from Mail, for example if you no longer use the account.

Important: Removing an account will permanently delete its mailboxes, messages, notes, and to do items. If you want to keep those, be sure to copy them to an On My Mac mailbox before deleting the account.

Exchange and IMAP accounts store their mailboxes and messages on the server; deleting these account types in Mail will not permanently delete messages from the server. However, if you are not completely certain that your account is one of those types, be sure to copy the mailboxes and messages you want to keep into an On My Mac mailbox, or save individual messages manually by selecting them and choosing Save As from the File menu.

To remove an email account in Mail:

1. Open Mail (click it on the Dock or open it from the Applications folder).
  2. From the Mail menu, choose Preferences..., or press Command-, (the Command and comma keys).
  3. Click the "Accounts" icon.
  4. Select the account you wish to remove.
  5. Click the "-" (minus) icon. You will be alerted that "The account's setup information, mailboxes, messages, notes, and to do's will be deleted permanently from your computer."
  6. If you are sure you want to remove the account and email messages from your computer, click "Remove" to complete this process.

http://support.apple.com/kb/ht1277

Then to re add it:

Mail can automatically get the email account settings for many email service providers

1. Open Mail.
  2. Choose Add Account from the File menu. If this is the first time you've opened Mail, you will be automatically prompted to add an account.
  3. Enter your Full Name, email address, and password. See Mac 101: Mail article for more information.

Usually, your email account can be configured automatically for you. If you use an email account that Mail cannot configure automatically, continue with this article.

Tip: You can also use the Mail Setup Assistant to check for your email service providers settings. If the Mail Setup Assistant does not have settings for your email service provider, use the "cheat sheet" of questions below when you contact your email service provider.

Cheers,

Sterling

Mail attaching extra random emails

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.