Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iTunes Library moved to NAS drive.

I moved my iTunes library to a NAS drive. All appeared OK.

Next time i starte iTunes I noticed that not all tracks had sync'ed to my ipod. Upon investigation I swa that the iTunes library in Preferences was pointing to my local hard drive again.

So, I changed the settings, asked iTunes to reorganise my library, which it appeaed to do,

Now, the location of most tracks (some 10,000 of 12,000 in the library) still point to my local drive, even though the Preferences point to the NAS and iTunes is supposedly organising the library. All these tracks are actuallly on the NAS (from the initial move) so if I try to consolidate, I get second copy on the NAS.

Is there a way I can just repoint oll of these enties to the NAS?

Or do I have to start a new library?

Thanks,

Steve

iPod touch (3rd generation), Windows 8

Posted on Jul 25, 2013 4:54 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 25, 2013 5:47 AM

My script ConsolidateByMoving should be able to relink iTunes to the correct copy of each track, moving any that aren't already there. Test it with a single album first so you're sure you understand how it behaves. As ever you should have a separate backup of the current state of the library files and media folders before starting just in case something goes wrong.

tt2

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 25, 2013 5:47 AM in response to powly

My script ConsolidateByMoving should be able to relink iTunes to the correct copy of each track, moving any that aren't already there. Test it with a single album first so you're sure you understand how it behaves. As ever you should have a separate backup of the current state of the library files and media folders before starting just in case something goes wrong.

tt2

Feb 26, 2015 4:07 PM in response to turingtest2

Hi turingtest2!

I've been seeing your posts everywhere, and I am in dire need of your help!!

I have a very similar problem as Powly, however I am running Mac OS X 10.10.

I as well moved my library to my NAS. I did this by changing my iTunes Media Folder Location in the advanced settings to my NAS music folder. I then consolidated my files, and now I can play all my media perfectly, if Im connected to my server. However, when I changed my iTunes Media Folder Location back to my local iTunes media folder library it won't locate a lot of my songs. Do you have program similar to the one you posted above, but for Mac?? Or do you know of any other solution to this problem??

Any help you could give would be GREATLY appreciated!!! Thank you!!!

iTunes Library moved to NAS drive.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.