Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Why is the image brighter after converting H264 to Apple Prores 422 in Compressor ?

Hello -

Very strange situation, keep reading please!

I am using Compressor to convert H264 1080p footage from a D600, to Apple Prores 422HQ for editing. Normal.

I am using the default Quicktime Settings named "Apple Prores 422 (HQ)".

The converted file is a bit brighter than the original... Why is this even possible! 😁 I find this a bit problematic because I'm loosing some details in the whites, at a way too early stage for signal alterationt!

So I tried different other stuff that you will find interesting:

• changing gamma correction in the codec settings had no effect

• I can see the change happening already in the Preview window

• and this is the best one : if I apply a resize, to anything, like 1919 X 1079, or 1280 X 720... then the color change does not occur, even when exported! If I apply a resize to the same size, then the output is brighter again.

I am proof checking in Quicktime 7 of course, with "FCP compatibility" enabled and disabled.

I know this is a hot topic and there are many unsolved aberrations like this around this topic, but maybe there is something I don't get ?

Thanks 🙂

Compressor, Mac OS X (10.6.8)

Posted on Jul 25, 2013 6:19 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 25, 2013 10:46 AM

Hiey Jacob.

I'm not getting that.

Here are two screenshots of the waveform for an h.264 and Pro Res HQ clip.

User uploaded file

User uploaded file

Russ

17 replies

Jul 25, 2013 11:35 AM in response to Russ H

Hey Russ,

Thanks for taking the time to help out,

Indeed on your screencap the converted file looks exactly the same. Nice house!

Here is a video of the process, where you can clearly see the difference, even on this compressed MPEG-4 video!

What is this ? 😐

LINK: http://wvorg.online.fr/posts/h264toprores-problem.mov

(let it load a few seconds, it's a quicktime movie)

Jul 25, 2013 4:36 PM in response to Jacobinetto

Jacob,

Thanks for the link. I would say it's a lot more than a bit brighter and I'm at a loss why that would happen.

The only difference between what I showed you and your outcome is my source files were from a Canon 60D; like you I encoded using the Pro Res HQ stock settings. When I previewed them, there was no visual difference. After encoding I brought them into FCPX to see what showed on the scopes.

I'll think about this some more, but perhaps someone else will chime in with an idea.

Russ

Jul 26, 2013 5:59 AM in response to Jacobinetto

I'm having this exact issue as well. It seems that any codec in Compressor 4 results in a brighter preview.

Even just selcting any codec in the settings browser (not applying it to the source) gives a brighter preview.

Can anyone check if they too have this behaviour?

I get this with Sony nex 5n video, a h.264 file exported from fcpx, but with another h.264 exported from fcpx it does not happen. All 1080p. I can't see a pattern.

Aug 3, 2013 12:38 PM in response to AlexCVideo

Apple are so thoughful for making us loose the discussion we clicked on after we log in..

Alex CVideo > I am so happy that you wrote about this

Yes: this is the exact problem. Very nice screencap, this is exaclty it (even if I said it 2 times now).

I have a little secret for you:

I read in another discussion saying that he had this problem too.

The only time I ever did in the entire Internet.

here it is :

this guy re-installed her entire system

mac os + final cut systems

and this time it worked.

Right now I prefer to convert to 1079p than risk this entire operation even it it worked 100% lol

At least not right now

but maybe you will be boosted up enough to give it a try 😝

Good luck to all of us and thanks again to Apple for these great moments we spend together talking about their wonderful mysteries

Why is the image brighter after converting H264 to Apple Prores 422 in Compressor ?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.