Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

My playlist keeps jumping back

I will be listening to a playlist on my iPhone 4s for a few songs and then pause. A few hours later I will come back to the music App and press play, but it will start playback from the song that I started with last time. So I have to skip any number of songs to get back to where I left off on the playlist. It does this with playlists or when I listen to my entire library on shuffle. Sometimes it keeps jumping back to the same song, no matter how many times I've paused and restarted. Every once in a while it will remember where I left off, but 9 times out of 10 it does not. This is really annoying since I want to listen to the whole playlist, but have to keep skipping through songs to get back to where I was without having to listen to repeats. Any ideas?

iPhone, iOS 5.1

Posted on Jul 25, 2013 7:14 AM

11 replies

Jul 25, 2013 7:54 AM in response to dilbert41

I've tried that...same problem. When I hit now playing, it shows the song from earlier in the playlist.

I've also noticed that if I double tap the home button and swipe over to the Music player, if it shows the name of a song, it will continue playing the playlist from where I left off. However, if it does not (which it usually does not), then it will jump back.

Jul 31, 2013 6:23 AM in response to haybarn564

Mine does the same thing and it drives me insane. As people said, when you listen to 25-30 songs in the car and then you go home at the end of the day and the playlist starts all the way at the beginning, then you have to skip through 30 songs to get back to where you were. I've noticed that mine seems to exclusively have this problem when I stream via Bluetooth through my car's stereo. If I use headphones, I don't have the problem.

Sep 30, 2013 7:01 AM in response to saverio303

I have the same problem on my iPhone 5S, and it is annoying. There may be a fix, however. Go to the Control Center, it seems you can start your playlist where you left off. I'd prefer to be able to do it in Music.app, or at least to have a preference that lets me continue where I left off in the playlist.

Another thing I noticed. When you add albums to a playlist, it seems the "add all songs" button is missing. That's kind of annoying when the album has lots of songs.

Jan 30, 2014 12:14 PM in response to KylieG328

Try a reset: hold down the home button along with the sleep/wake button until you see the apple, then let go. (No data loss)

If this doesn't work, try this procedure: Un-sync all your music to remove it from the device, then restart (hold down the home button along with the sleep/wake button until you see the apple, then let go). Now re-sync your music.

My playlist keeps jumping back

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.