8 Replies Latest reply: Jul 26, 2013 10:02 PM by ChangeAgent
ChangeAgent Level 1 Level 1 (140 points)

I have a MBP late 2010 running 10.6.  I will do a firmware upgrade that will allow it to have a recovery partition installed.

my question is what is the best way to install 10.8?

I will need to reformat the hard drive on the MBP so there will be no OS on it.  and I like a clean install anyway.   Shall I start it from a recovery USB stick I have from a newer MBP and go online to install?  Download the OS from Apple and burn it on a DVD and install from there?  Or clone the OS 10.6 disk before erasing and boot from that disk and install than?  or?

Any tips or ideas as to what would be the best way?

Thanks.

MBP + MBP, MM + MM - 10.6 - 10.8
  • Eric Root Level 7 Level 7 (34,805 points)

Check that your computer is compatible with Mountain Lion.

To check the model number hold down the option/alt key, go to the Apple menu and select System Information.

• iMac (Mid 2007 or newer) model number 7,1 or higher
    • MacBook (Late 2008 Aluminum, or Early 2009 or newer) model number 5,1 or higher
    • MacBook Pro (Mid/Late 2007 or newer) model number 3,1 or higher
    • MacBook Air (Late 2008 or newer) model number 2,1 or higher
    • Mac mini (Early 2009 or newer) model number 3,1 or higher
    • Mac Pro (Early 2008 or newer) model number 3,1 or higher
    • Xserve (Early 2009) model number 3,1 or higher

Your Mac needs:

• OS X v10.6.8 or OS X Lion already installed
    • 2 GB or more of memory (More is better)
    • 8 GB or more of available space

Model Numbers                  Computer Compatibility - Apple

Check to make sure your applications are compatible. PowerPC applications are no longer supported.            Application Compatibility

You can also check by going to the  menu, select About this Mac, click on More info…, then click System Report and select Software/Applications.

If you have applications that you want to use that arent compatible, you can retain Snow Leopard and create a new partition to install Mountain Lion on or you can run Snow Leopard  server in a virtual mode.

If your computer isn't compatible, you might be able to upgrade to Lion.        Computer Compatibility - Lion

If you can/do upgrade, I recommend you make a copy of the installer and move it out of your Applications folder. The installer self-destructs. The copy will keep you from having to download the installer again. You can make a bootable DVD/USB stick to install using this free program.

Bootable Drive DVD or USB Flash Drive – Lion Diskmaker

From Kappy

Install Mountain Lion Successfully from 10.6.8

From a brody

Mountain Lion 10.8 Updating requirements

• ChangeAgent Level 1 Level 1 (140 points)

great info Eric,

So having to reformat my MBP what would be the best root to take to reinstall in your humble opinion?

Do a backup of your computer before doing anything.

If your recovery USB stick has Disk Utlitites on it, boot from that. Run Disk Utilities Repair Permissions and Verify/Repair the hard drive (see Kappy's article - section A). If the recovery stick doesn't have Disk Utilities on it, boot from the disks that came with your computer or your Snow Leopard disk and do the repair/verify. Once that is complete use Disk Utilities to erase the disk so you get a clean install. The format is Mac OS Extended (Journaled).

Then install Mountain lion using your recovery USB stick. Restore from your backup and hopefully, you will be done and not have any problems.

If your recovery USB doesn't have a Mountain Lion installer or Disk Utilities on it, down load Mountain Lion from the App Store and use Lion Diskmaker to make your recovery USB stick have them on it before you start doing anything.

Hopefully I've explained the process clearly.

When you reboot normally after the installation, I would use Setup Assistant to restore your data rather than using Migration Assistant later. Occasionally, people experience problems with Migration Assistant.

Good one, thanks.

Eric Root wrote:

Do a backup of your computer before doing anything.

Brilliant stuff Eric, and yes I have learned that even a backup might noy be enough so in this case I will have 3 and TM.

Eric Root wrote:

Then install Mountain lion using your recovery USB stick. Restore from your backup and hopefully, you will be done and not have any problems.

Will any recovery USB stick do?  I have one for a MBP i7 but the one I will do soon is a i5.

The processor shouldn't matter unless the computer you made the recovery stick from is brand new. Some of the brand new computers have special versions of 10.8. You can try the recovery stick and if it doesn't work, then revert to

If your recovery USB doesn't have a Mountain Lion installer or Disk Utilities on it, down load Mountain Lion from the App Store and use Lion Diskmaker to make your recovery USB stick have them on it before you start doing anything.

aha, I suppose that is where we will have a problem.  the i7 is a week old.