Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

3rd Party SSD

Hi

I have just installed a sandisk 128gb SSD (model SanDIsk SDSSDP-128G-G25) into my mac. I cloned it using this link http://forums.crucial.com/t5/Solid-State-Drives-SSD-Knowledge/How-to-clone-your- old-hard-drive-to-your-SSD-Mac/ta-p/112072.

And I swapped out my old 500gb HD with this I have used a enclosure to use it as a bootable back & time machine back up (i will partition it.)

I booted from the ssd and everything seems great booted first time in 24 secs instead of sometimes over a minute. But I emailed sandisk to ask about firmware upgrades for my drive but as it is the basic model it is not updatable but sandisk support did tell me to turn on trim support before I installed OSX to prolong the life of the drive otherwise it will slow down over time. No where in the guides i used for installing/cloning ssd did it say to do this and I alread had cloned my drive but they said to goole search to turn it on so I used this link to turn it on in terminal.

http://www.mactrast.com/2011/07/how-to-enable-trim-support-for-all-ssds-in-os-x- lion

but it didn't work as system information showed this

SanDisk SDSSDP128G:

Capacity: 128.04 GB (128,035,676,160 bytes)

Model: SanDisk SDSSDP128G

Revision: 2.0.0

Serial Number: 132154400956

Native Command Queuing: Yes

Queue Depth: 32

Removable Media: No

Detachable Drive: No

BSD Name: disk0

Medium Type: Solid State

TRIM Support: No

Partition Map Type: GPT (GUID Partition Table)

S.M.A.R.T. status: Verified

Volumes:

disk0s1:

Capacity: 209.7 MB (209,715,200 bytes)

BSD Name: disk0s1

Content: EFI

Macintosh HD :

Capacity: 127.18 GB (127,175,917,568 bytes)

Available: 66.11 GB (66,108,084,224 bytes)

Writable: Yes

File System: Journaled HFS+

BSD Name: disk0s2

Mount Point: /

Content: Apple_HFS

Volume UUID: 18CB3459-4AF1-3BC0-9FEC-EF441C2F451C

Recovery HD:

Capacity: 650 MB (650,002,432 bytes)

BSD Name: disk0s3

Content: Apple_Boot

Volume UUID: 16799345-B219-313F-A000-FCDE6905E1D8

so i searched again and found trim eneabler app for mac rebooted and it has appeared to do the job.

Intel 6 Series Chipset:

Vendor: Intel

Product: 6 Series Chipset

Link Speed: 6 Gigabit

Negotiated Link Speed: 6 Gigabit

Description: AHCI Version 1.30 Supported

SanDisk SDSSDP128G:

Capacity: 128.04 GB (128,035,676,160 bytes)

Model: SanDisk SDSSDP128G

Revision: 2.0.0

Serial Number: 132154400956

Native Command Queuing: Yes

Queue Depth: 32

Removable Media: No

Detachable Drive: No

BSD Name: disk0

Medium Type: Solid State

TRIM Support: Yes

Partition Map Type: GPT (GUID Partition Table)

S.M.A.R.T. status: Verified

Volumes:

disk0s1:

Capacity: 209.7 MB (209,715,200 bytes)

BSD Name: disk0s1

Content: EFI

Macintosh HD :

Capacity: 127.18 GB (127,175,917,568 bytes)

Available: 65.97 GB (65,969,401,856 bytes)

Writable: Yes

File System: Journaled HFS+

BSD Name: disk0s2

Mount Point: /

Content: Apple_HFS

Volume UUID: 18CB3459-4AF1-3BC0-9FEC-EF441C2F451C

Recovery HD:

Capacity: 650 MB (650,002,432 bytes)

BSD Name: disk0s3

Content: Apple_Boot

Volume UUID: 16799345-B219-313F-A000-FCDE6905E1D8

My question is has anyone used this app before and should it matter that I have turned it on after I installed osx?

Cheers

MacBook Pro, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.3)

Posted on Jul 25, 2013 11:46 AM

13 replies

Jul 26, 2013 9:24 AM in response to SH1987

Hi

I have just had this response back from Sandisk I sent them my system information shown above once I had turned trim on using Trim enabler as they suggested it to prolong the drive orginally they said to do it before OSX is installed but I had already done it at that point I just recieved this response.

"

Thanks for contacting SanDisk Technical Support. It is our goal to make sure you have all the resources you need to get the most from your product.

We always advise in order to be 100% certain that TRIM will work properly, it needs to be activated before installing the operating system.

Your system information recognizes that TRIM is enabled but since you enabled it after installing the operating system, we cannot be certain that it will work properly.

We remain at your service should you require additional information.

"

Can anyone advice if my drive will work ok or not with what I have done or will I need to boot from my external drive and erase my ssd then turn trim on somehow then clone with my external drive again.

thanks

Jul 26, 2013 11:30 AM in response to SH1987

SH1987 wrote:

...Can anyone advice if my drive will work ok or not with what I have done or will I need to boot from my external drive and erase my ssd then turn trim on somehow then clone with my external drive again...

Is SanDisk Tech Support absolutely positively 100% clear that you're using a Mac with OS X? I'm no expert on this but I believe TRIM is tied to ACHI (Advanced Host Controller Interface and Serial ATA drives) but not IDE (which refers to Parallel ATA). I believe which to use for your HD could be specified in your PC's BIOS and it had to be correct before TRIM could work. If I'm right, SanDisk Tech Support was giving you the generic answer they give to PC users.

TRIM Enabler should get the job done. Just be aware that you may have to re-enable TRIM whenever you do an OS update or upgrade.

Jul 26, 2013 2:43 PM in response to SH1987

As you know, SSD's don't operate quite the way HD's do. In order to overwrite a page of data, the page has to be erased first (HD's just write to the page again). But SSD's can't erase just the page; the whole block of data the page is in has to be erased too, and other pages in the block are still valid, so the whole thing (except for the page to be overwritten) has to be moved to a different block before the current block is erased.

On the other hand, if a page is simply deleted, it's left alone and gets included in that move before block erasure even though it's no longer valid. That will continue until the OS issues an instruction to write to that page again. Since writing to an SSD shortens its life, unnecessary writes are not good, especially given the hoops an SSD has to jump through to write anything.

TRIM notifies the SSD that the deleted page space is available now rather than waiting for an explicit "use the page again" instruction. As such, it's an ongoing process, and while having TRIM enabled from the beginning is a good idea, it's likely it'll touch most of the pages eventually because, given the limited life of individual cells on an SSD, wear-leveling will spread cell usage around to smooth wear, even outside the partition, as garbage-collection progresses.

Or, to put it another way, I don't think you need to erase your SSD and start over. Indeed, given that lots of writing can shorten the useful life of an SSD, erasing it and cloning your HD's contents all over again is just wearing all those cells out faster.

Jul 26, 2013 3:43 PM in response to FatMac-MacPro

Thanks for the info so would you leave trim on or off? i wont bother with the erase and clone again even if sandisk come back and say it should be done at the start I pretty much turned it on as soon as i started using the drive it was only off during the clone I dont know how sandisk can say you can turn it on with no os installed but im going to see what there reply is. I have read about having trim on or off and it seems drive with a sandforce contoller dont need it as back ground garbage takes care of it and OWC drives suggest leaving it off. My drive is this :http://www.sandisk.com/products/ssd/sata/standard/?capacity=128GB in my reply to sandisk I have asked if this one had a sandforce controller im thinking not.

My mac seems alot faster since using the ssd it boots in around 20 secs as opposed to a minute and apps loads faster than before expecially iphoto and itunes also secure empty seems faster which for a cheap ssd seems very good like i said i only went for it as I was going to replace my external drive but this was ÂŁ15 more than a basic 500gb drive from Amazon. I downloaded blackmagic disk speed test as seen on an OSX daily page tested it and showed this as my read write speeds compared to sandisks on the link above does this seem write they seem alot lower but seem to speed up or slow down each test I tried 3-4. One test my Read speed reached 220 and Write 70 ish.

User uploaded file

Cheers

Jul 26, 2013 7:35 PM in response to SH1987

SH1987 wrote:

Thanks for the info so would you leave trim on or off? i wont bother with the erase and clone again even if sandisk come back and say it should be done at the start I pretty much turned it on as soon as i started using the drive it was only off during the clone I dont know how sandisk can say you can turn it on with no os installed but im going to see what there reply is. I have read about having trim on or off and it seems drive with a sandforce contoller dont need it as back ground garbage takes care of it and OWC drives suggest leaving it off. My drive is this :http://www.sandisk.com/products/ssd/sata/standard/?capacity=128GB in my reply to sandisk I have asked if this one had a sandforce controller im thinking not...

If the controller is not a SandForce and SanDisk says using TRIM is OK, I'd enable TRIM and just keep it running that way. I use a SandForce SSD and also looked into TRIM usage, including the OWC position. At least back when I was checking, their link to discussion of that question went back quite a ways and there was a time when TRIM did not play well with SandForce firmware. That has since been fixed, but this link is more recent and still advises against it. There is also the question of how SandForce actually stores your data - the controller uses a sophisticated form of compression and decompression on the fly so there may be some inconsistency between the LBA (logical block address) where the OS thinks your data is and where the SSD controller actually put it.

So if SanDisk has given TRIM its blessing, just turn it on and enjoy the improved speed and reduced wear that should result. As to that performance, note that SanDisk says (up to) so you know YMWV. The actual write speed could be affected by how full the drive is and how much behind garbage collection is. That's something that TRIM is designed to address.

Jul 30, 2013 1:58 PM in response to FatMac-MacPro

Hi

Sandisk replied with the following:

"

We can confirm that your SSD has a sandforce controller.

Regarding the application you used to enable TRIM and since you are saying that there is no way to enable TRIM on a Mac without installing the operating system first, we will ask you to contact Apple for further assistance.

You can also have a look at the following links, however be advised that these are NOT SanDisk resources and we take no responsibility for them.

http://lifehacker.com/5803331/how-to-enable-trim-on-your-macs-solid+state-drive

http://osxdaily.com/2011/03/27/enable-trim-ssd-mac-os-x-10-6-7/

We shall be waiting for your update. Thank you for your kind cooperation.

So would you recommend trim or not I am currently running trim enabler system seem to run great but ssd only been installed for less than a week.

Thanks

Jul 30, 2013 3:25 PM in response to SH1987

SH1987 wrote:

...So would you recommend trim or not I am currently running trim enabler system seem to run great but ssd only been installed for less than a week...

I've got to say that SanDisk's response is fascinating. First, they confirm both that your SSD has a SandForce controller and that it's compatible with TRIM. Second the links they supply recommend the TRIM enabler that you're using even though it needs an OS installed first for it to run in. Just to confuse things further, I believe essentially all current SSD's have garbage collection of some sort, which conflicts with advice for using TRIM in the first link (that kind of advice could make your head hurt). At least as I understand it, TRIM is an adjunct to GC because it deals with deleted files immediately that GC won't until the space they occupy is directly overwritten by the OS giving a command to write to that particular LBA.

So, to answer your question, if it was me, I'd use TRIM Enabler to turn TRIM on. Since System Info already says TRIM is supported, I'd be happy and then just leave it alone to do its thing. However, I wouldn't follow the first link's advise to erase free space, just to be safe. GC and TRIM will get there soon enough.

Jul 31, 2013 9:03 AM in response to FatMac-MacPro

Hi

just thought you be interested in this reply from sandisk

'

Regarding your question, all of our SSD models support TRIM.

I understand in the link you read that TRIM is not needed for SSD with a sandforce controller. Please be advised these links are NOT SanDisk resources and we take no responsibility for them. We always recommend to enable TRIM when using our SSD, since it maintains the performance of SSD at an optimal level (as fresh out of the box) over its lifetime and reduces the wear and tear of the drive.

so I have had trim enabled since I put the drive in and plan on leaving it turned on.

Thanks

3rd Party SSD

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.