Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

charging ipod without loading songs

My first iPod Nano lasted many years but has finally developed some serious flaws, so I decided to replace/supplement it with a used one. My first "problem" is charging it. As I recall, songs are automatically downloaded when you plug the iPod into the computer. I don't want that to happen. I want to start with downloading only certain Playlists. Also, it seems to me that only checkmarked songs are downloaded. That's okay, except when you have hundreds, maybe thousands, of each. There is a way to remove all checkmarks with one click. How do you do that?

iDVD 7.1.1 (1150)

Posted on Jul 25, 2013 4:21 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 25, 2013 4:33 PM

Command + click on one of the check boxes will check/uncheck all.

9 replies

Jul 26, 2013 3:27 PM in response to briandallas

I've run into a problem, but rather than saying what I think, or what I've done, I'll just restate what I want to do.

(1) I want to download songs playlist-by-playlist. I don't want to download anything else. I don't want any single songs to be downloaded at this time.

(2) I can delete or reinstart the checkmarks with COMMAND and CLICK, but I don't seem to be able to handle the playlists separately from the rest of the songs in my library. In other words, If I delete a checkmark with COMMAND and click, ALL checkmarks are deleted, including the ones on the songs in my Playlist.

(3) Don't songs, including those in a playlist, have to be checkmarked before I can download them into my iPod?

(4) If a song is checkmarked, will it be downloaded into my iPod when I plug in the iPod?

(5) What role does "Prevent iPods, iPhones, and iPods from syncing automatically" play in this?

Your answer needn't track with my numbers. I just wanted to include everything that I thought might be involved.

Jul 28, 2013 7:59 AM in response to Niku

(1) I want to download songs playlist-by-playlist.

Can't you accomplish that by plugging in your iPod to the computer, going to the Music tab, Check the box "Selected Playlist, Artists, etc...", and then scroll down through your playlists list, check the ones you want to sync, and select nothing else?

I don't want any single songs to be downloaded at this time...

If I delete a checkmark with COMMAND and click, ALL checkmarks are deleted, including the ones on the songs in my Playlist.

Are you are concerned that you're seeing your iPod list the songs within the Playlists view AND in the Songs view??

Whether you are viewing a song in a Playlist, or in the Main Library list view, it's the same file, is only exists once on your iPod and or your iTunes Library. The Main Library listing is just a reference of all the songs that are in all the playlists on your device. (Visa-versa actually)

If you uncheck a song in the Main view, it also unchecks that song in ALL playlists... it's the same file.

#3. Only if you have the preference checked on the Summary tab under Options "Sync only checked songs and videos"

#4. Only if you have "Prevent iPods, iPhones, and iPods from syncing automatically" unchecked.

#5. That is where you decide if you want the iPod to sync automatically every time you plug it in, or if you want to manually initiate the sync.

I hope this helps

bd

Jul 28, 2013 8:40 AM in response to briandallas

briandallas wrote:

(1) I want to download songs playlist-by-playlist.

Can't you accomplish that by plugging in your iPod to the computer, going to the Music tab, Check the box "Selected Playlist, Artists, etc...", and then scroll down through your playlists list, check the ones you want to sync, and select nothing else?

- - - - -

Yes, but that would mean hundreds of clicks (One of my playlists has over 200 songs). I was hoping for a way to download all of them into my iPod with one, or two clicks.

XXXXXXXX

I don't want any single songs to be downloaded at this time...

If I delete a checkmark with COMMAND and click, ALL checkmarks are deleted, including the ones on the songs in my Playlist.

XXXXX

Are you are concerned that you're seeing your iPod list the songs within the Playlists view AND in the Songs view??

-----

No, my main concern is to download songs as easily as possible (I don't want to have to click hundreds of times) while avoiding the downloading of songs that I don't want to be downloaded. I was hoping that there would be a way to download a playlist, but nothing else, with one click

XXXXX

Whether you are viewing a song in a Playlist, or in the Main Library list view, it's the same file, is only exists once on your iPod and or your iTunes Library. The Main Library listing is just a reference of all the songs that are in all the playlists on your device. (Visa-versa actually)

If you uncheck a song in the Main view, it also unchecks that song in ALL playlists... it's the same file.

#3. #4, #5

I hope this helps

----

Well, the truth can't be avoided, so I 'll just have to accept the iTunes reality; yet I just can't quite stretch your answers into "helps". I've only recently received my new iPod, and now I see that I won't be able to use it without unacceptable and boring hardship amounting to near torture.Thanks for your input, though.

- - -- - - - -

Jul 28, 2013 8:52 AM in response to Niku

Sometimes too many words only confuse the issue. What I wanted to be able to do was (1) checkmark all of the songs in a Playlist, but no others, with one click and then; (2) download all of those checkmarked songs into my iPod with one click. Two clicks to download two hundred SELECTED songs from ITunes into Pod. That was the dream. Unfortunately, it turned out to be the Impossible Dream.

Jul 28, 2013 10:35 AM in response to Niku

Final, final? Maybe. I read that you could move Playlists from iTunes to iPod by just dragging them. Being desperate, I tried. I clicked on a Playlist; then hlghlighted the songs in that Playlist; then dragged those songs to the iPod icon in the DEVICES section on the left side of the iTunes window. Maybe I could have just dragged the Playlist, but this is what I did. It worked...to a point. I was able to move all of the Playlists that I wanted to my iPod, but other songs were also moved. How many? All? I don't know, but at least I was able to transfer my chosen Playlists to my iPod in seconds, and I'm talking about hundreds and hundreds of songs. Now, when I have time and when I feel like it, I'll try to see if I can delete those unwanted songs from my iPod. If I can't, I'll just live with it.

charging ipod without loading songs

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.